| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

MULTIPLE INPUT PORTS

JMFernandez , 04-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Hello. I want to ask if there is a way to connect several input PORTS to the same NET. For example, suppose we have a 4 sheets schematic. In the first page we have an IC that has an OUTPUT (for example a clock signal). In each of the next sheets (2,3 and 4) we have an IC (one per sheet) that needs to be connected to the clock signal. If you connect one INPUT PORT to each of the three ICs, and one OUTPUT port to the chip of the first sheet, Altium gives you an error: NETx CONTAINS MULTIPLE INPUT PORTS.

I know I can use UNSPECIFIED or BIDIRECTIONAL ports, but I want to mantain the real direction of the signal. Some idea? All the pins of all the components are PASSIVE, so this is not the problem.

Thank you in advance.
robertferanec , 04-29-2016, 12:54 AM
I don't know why Altium doesn't make the port DRC checking to pass these kind of standard situations by default (e.g. it's same for open collector).

I know, some time ago I tried to figure out how to do it, but I couldn't find the best way, so I use "Unspecified" ports pointing the correct direction. You may want to try to play with Schematic -> Project -> Project Options -> Connection Matrix, however I normally try to run Altium on default settings (I only change the most annoying things e.g. zoom with CTRL). I use Altium on several different computers and in different versions and I used to have problems when I customized it too much (every Altium had different behavior).

But maybe they fixed it now ... but I guess not, otherwise you would not be asking
JMFernandez , 04-29-2016, 01:02 AM
Thank you for your help. What do you mean when you say "I use "Unspecified" ports pointing the correct direction."? The only shape of the UNSPECIFIED ports I have found is the same as the BIDIRECTIONAL ports.
robertferanec , 04-29-2016, 01:08 AM
You can select "Style"
JMFernandez , 04-29-2016, 01:12 AM
Ah! Thank you!!
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?