| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Aluminium Layer

eugarte , 05-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm designing a PCB which needs to have a great heat dissipation so I have added 2 GND interal planes but I also want to se the buttom layer as Aluminium layer. This one will be connected to the GND net (just like the GND planes) to accomplish my goal but I don´t know how to set the buttom layer as Aluminium layer. Just name it as "Aluminium Layer" is ok? Should I place a pour poligon along the buttom layer, connect it to GND Net and tell my manufacturer that layer needs to be Aluminium? How do I do this...?

Thanks!
mairomaster , 05-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Yes, you can use a big polygon on the bottom layer and use as many stitching ground vias as you can. I am not really convinced about the idea with the aluminium. I don't really think it will increase the heat dissipation, copper is better conductor, hence dissipates better. Maybe you can think of mounting a big heat sink on the bottom layer instead, or probably better, on the heat dissipation devices directly.

If you really want to go with the idea about the aluminium, you need to speak to your PCB manufacturer and understand if it's possible.
eugarte , 05-27-2016, 08:29 AM
Thank you very much for your answer, I will consider your comments for my design and I have being reading and Aluminium PCB's are much more efficient than FR-4 for heat disipation.

Best regards,

Enrique
mairomaster , 05-27-2016, 08:59 AM
Hmm I think I misunderstood what you want to do. I thought you wish to just replace your bottom copper layer with aluminium such.
eugarte , 05-27-2016, 09:04 AM
I thought to do so when I made the post but reading and searching in the web I found that aluminium layer is accomplished with Aluminium PCB that substitutes the RF-4 and enhances the heat dissipation.
robertferanec , 05-28-2016, 02:28 AM
I would try to place the heatsink on the device directly. I think that is the most efficient way to take heat away.
eugarte , 05-28-2016, 08:18 AM
Yes, placing the heatsink on the device directly is the most efficient way but if you have a reduce space in the case I believe the Aluminium PCB could be a great way to accomplish this goal
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?