| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Metal Core PCB and dielectric layers with voids

DaveC@CVI , 06-20-2016, 08:24 AM
Hi Robert et al,

I’m trying to define the layer stack of a Metal Core PCB to mount some high-brightness LED dice. The schematic is very simple, but there are some odd tricks I want to do with the layout; most of the components are technically placed on the 2nd layer, recessed down into the board a little bit. I was thinking of using different layer stacks for this, but the split line is only a line, and I can’t define it with other shapes or regions that I know of. The topmost signal and dielectric layers need to have a hole and a slot cut into them to accommodate the dice and a connector. Other options would be to define a large non-plated blind hole or keepouts. The package is similar in concept to the attached photo, but with one additional dielectric and signal layer under what's visible.

I'm hoping for a solution that translates correctly into the 3D view so I can show it clearly to the board fab house. Any suggestions?

DaveC@CVI , 06-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Using a flex coverlay gets me halfway there, but it doesn't permit signal layers on top of it. Any other ideas?
robertferanec , 06-20-2016, 11:58 PM
Very interesting. I have never done anything like this, so I am curious how people do it.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?