| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

AD16.1

JohnsonMiller , 06-20-2016, 08:27 AM
What is new in AD16.1?
JohnsonMiller , 06-20-2016, 08:30 AM
In Ad15, after design compilation, in schematic pages if we hover mouse over a net then a small window might appear to show connection of that net in other pages and it was possible to switch to that page directly, In Ad16 it is gone! Do you see same in your AD?

Same in in PCB, if you click on area with overlapping items, then a selection menu appear, while in new AD there is no such menu!

mairomaster , 06-20-2016, 02:27 PM
I have never used the option in the schematics which you have described.

In Altium 16 the PCB selection is the same, maybe something is wrong with your settings or with the particular project. If you are not getting the selection window, what happens with the object? Is just the top one selected? What about the other ones below?

Here you can see information about the new features:
http://techdocs.altium.com/display/A...ltium+Designer

Altium 16 definately feels nicer to me. If you don't need to pay too much for it, it is a no-brainer to get it in my opinion. You can always keep 15 in case you need it for something. I don't see any advantages of 15 compared to 16 - just a very specific one. If you have a private Altium vault, in Altium 15 there was a nice filter with check boxes which used to allow more flexibility when searching a group of components in the vault. This is a very specific feature though and not many people use it at all. Apart from that, I don't miss anything from Altium 15.

EDIT: I just noticed that maybe you mean the 16.1 update specifically. I don't think it brings any really important features compared to 16.0. The most noticeable one is the introduction of Draftsman, which I tried for 10 minutes and realised it is quite crap at this stage. Probably they will make it better in the future.
ecworks , 06-20-2016, 11:03 PM
before when i place mouse pointer on a track the full track highlighted but now i do not get it.... anyone know whats the setting to enable that?
robertferanec , 06-21-2016, 12:19 AM
Thank you @mairomaster, that is exactly the page where I have seen it.

@JohnsonMiller, I think this is what you may be looking for "SYSTEM - DESIGN INSIGHT" default settings have changed: http://techdocs.altium.com/display/A...eferences))_AD

@ecworks, looks like Altium has made a lot of changes in the default preferences, have a look at the whole Changes to Default Altium Designer Preferences page.
JohnsonMiller , 06-21-2016, 01:09 AM
Thank you Robert,
Another issue appear on PDF export, color in PDF is different from PCB and setting color from dialog box does not fix the issue, have to import from PCB and need to do it twice to see the effect!!!

Very strange! why these guys making these level of changes on handy command and shortcuts?
ecworks , 06-21-2016, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by robertferanec
@ecworks, looks like Altium has made a lot of changes in the default preferences, have a look at the whole Changes to Default Altium Designer Preferences page.
@robertferanec
​thank you...got the technic to highlight track...we need to press shift button then place the mouse pointer on the track then we can highlight the whole track..otherwise go to DXP-> preference ->PCB editor->board insight display-> and here there is an option live highlighting in it we can disable "live highlighting only when shift key is down"....after disable this option it will work as previous... thank you friends for your supports
mairomaster , 06-21-2016, 04:21 AM
I think updating the defaults was a good thing. There were many legacy options which are not used nowadays and also many options which by default are not the way the most people use them. Before I needed to change lots of the default options to be comfortable, now I don't need to change that many. I can see how it could be more of a problem for people which relied heavily on the old default. For me it took just 15 min to go through the changes list and re-adjust a few things.
robertferanec , 06-21-2016, 07:55 AM
Another issue appear on PDF export, color in PDF is different from PCB and setting color from dialog box does not fix the issue, have to import from PCB and need to do it twice to see the effect!!!
Sometimes setting up the color before the xport in Altium TOOLS panel helps. Did you try to set it up there? Here is an example of setting it up to "Altium 3D Blue":

koreshx , 06-24-2016, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by mairomaster
The most noticeable one is the introduction of Draftsman, which I tried for 10 minutes and realised it is quite crap at this stage. Probably they will make it better in the future.
Draftsman is incredible tool! I am very impressed. Finally I can create pretty drawings inside Altium
JohnsonMiller , 07-01-2016, 03:30 AM
Robert, thank you for your comment, I went through documents and recovered some features,
However an issue still exist. Consider a sample PCB with components on both sides, in old AD when you make a click a small selection menu appear helping to select proper component, while in new AD, you have to keep mouse pointer in absolute stationery and with each click it cycle among components, very boring and inaccurate process. Any help?
mairomaster , 07-01-2016, 05:08 AM
From the preferences, try PCB Editor -> General -> Display Popup Selection Dialog.
robertferanec , 07-01-2016, 06:35 AM
@JohnsonMiller I believe, @mairomaster answered your question. They changed number of default settings ...
JohnsonMiller , 07-01-2016, 11:43 PM
Got it, thank you.
JohnsonMiller , 07-02-2016, 02:51 AM
Another unwelcome feature in new AD which shows up in component placement and routing, is mouse pointer locking to nearby item! any idea?
robertferanec , 07-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Try press CTRL and hold it down. That may help.
JohnsonMiller , 07-03-2016, 01:17 AM
Tried, no working!
mairomaster , 07-03-2016, 08:56 AM
When you are routing or moving components around try to hold CTRL, it should disable the snap to component hot points and snap only to grid.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the second page of the topic and actually posted the same reply as Robert
JohnsonMiller , 07-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Thank you, I will give another try.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?