| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

DFM (Design For Manufacturing)

JohnsonMiller , 06-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Is there any DFM check or DFM related tools inside Altium?
mairomaster , 06-30-2016, 09:40 AM
In the design rules you have a category Manufacturing, where you can specify minimum annular ring, minimum solder mask sliver and that sort of manufacturing related constrains. Is that what you mean?
JohnsonMiller , 07-01-2016, 03:23 AM
mairomaster, yes, it is what I mean. But it is not enough and usually manufacturer asks some other question and it takes project schedule, sometime more than a week! and I noticed they are using some other tools to check Gerber and manufacturing issues,
mairomaster , 07-01-2016, 03:55 AM
Can you give specific examples, please?

There always be questions, which I know slow down the process and can be annoying sometimes. To help with that you can do several things.

- Be sure you are using a layer stack agreed with the particular manufacturer, before you send the manufacturing files.
- Be sure you know all the technical requirements of the particular manufacturer - track width and gap, etc.
- Same for the materials the manufacturer uses, apart from the stack - colour of the silk screen, colour of the solder mask, etc.
- Always include manufacturing note with as much useful information as possible in one of the mechanical layers.
- Make sure you speak to your manufacturer if you need to use anything not standard - strange board cutouts and that sort of stuff.

I am sure Robert can give you more tips.
robertferanec , 07-01-2016, 06:30 AM
@mairomaster you covered it all

@JohnsonMiller have a look at our open source Rex projects at http://www.imx6rex.com/ expecialy what we include inside PCB manufacturing folder (notice the stackup information and have a look at the Manufacturing notes layer). We never get any questions from PCB manufacturer, we just send it and they just manufacture it.

In case you get a question from your PCB manufacturer, always include the answer in your "PCB manufacturing" folder or "Manufacturing Note" layer, so your next PCB manufacturing is smooth, without any delays or questions.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?