| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

place pad or trace without connection

Maxi Barac , 07-31-2016, 12:25 AM
Hi friends , i have a question, how can i do to place a pad or a trace once you are in the pcb doc but this new pad or trace does not exist in the schematic sheet ? i mean sometimes you have to add a pad for example but you don't feel like adding it in the schematic & then import changes in the pcb doc , you just want to place the pad only in the pcb doc , same for traces .
thank you very much for your time , this forum is great .
mairomaster , 07-31-2016, 08:04 AM
You can just use Place -> Pad, or the button in the tools bar. Track you can place the way you are normally routing.

However, if you need to be using any of those, there is a good chance you are not doing something right. Normally you have all your pads as part of components in your schematics. One occasion where you might need to add separate pads only in the PCB is to create mounting holes for example. However, I prefer to use schematic symbols for those as well.
robertferanec , 07-31-2016, 09:57 AM
I totally agree with @mairomaster. You can do that, but it is not the best practice. I just made a post about it recently (see the Tip 8): 9 Essential tips for schematic design you might not be doing
EVW13 , 07-31-2016, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by robertferanec
I totally agree with @mairomaster. You can do that, but it is not the best practice. I just made a post about it recently (see the Tip 8): 9 Essential tips for schematic design you might not be doing
It's really good methodology til it's you who does make schematics. If not, it's better to avoid changing anything, specially if there is non-flat hierarchy.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?