| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Variant and not-fitted features

Norbert , 08-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Hi,
WHen I use the not fitted feature the 3D model disappears but the footprint still remain. Is there a way for the footprint to go away as well?
I am designing a board with 2 different bluetooths components. One uses USB and the other the SD connectivity. Because of the limited space I want to put them in the same space. so if one of them can go away, them it ll solve my problem.
Thank you
mairomaster , 08-04-2016, 01:35 AM
I don't use variants, but the idea of the not-fitted component is that it won't be actually soldered on the finished board, but its footprint should still stay. The idea is that you might or might not want to use it on the finished board, so you have the option. For the same reason DNP (do not populate) components are used.
Norbert , 08-04-2016, 08:49 AM
Thank you for your help. So the best option will be to design 2 separate boards which turns to be more work.
Thank you
mairomaster , 08-04-2016, 09:23 AM
You might be able to achieve it with variants, I just have never used variants and I am not sure what the possibilities are, try to explore the option further though.

There is a way to have two different pieces of circuitry in the schematics by using compile masks:

You will need to have 2 different PCB though. A way to achieve it is to first fully finish the more complex one, then copy paste it and create the second version which would require just minor changes of the particular Bluetooth circuitry. Then you can use compile masks when you are updating each individual PCB. For example you cover circuitry 2 with mask and import changes to PCB 1, or the opposite - cover circuitry 1 and import changes to PCB 2.
Norbert , 08-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Thank you for your help
robertferanec , 08-07-2016, 03:57 AM
As @mairomaster explained, maybe this can be done through Variants and setting the part as an "Alternate Part", but I am not 100% sure if and how "alternate part" influences the PCB. In standard designs, the footprint would be always the same.

leighpots , 12-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Depending on the device packages it may be possible to create a dual footprint such that either can be installed in the same space. (as defined by variant).
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?