| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Supplier information

JohnsonMiller , 08-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Hi Guys,

I am trying to update supplier information for a project,

Initial problem is that accessing Mouser through Altium requires login, which is not common case with Mouser, if you try to access it using a web browser no login is needed!

Second problem is that many components exist in the schematic pages and selecting and updating them one-by-one does not make sense, is there any possibility to select all same components across pages and then update them all at once?

BR,
robertferanec , 08-23-2016, 07:39 AM
1) I din't try that, but you should be able to register at Mouser and use the login in Altium to access their database. Please try and let us know if registration helped as you are not only one with this problem.

2) Hmm, I always do it manually. How big your schematic is? It should be quite quick and it should not take long time to update it. Once you have the component created and you are inside your schematic, you can use Copy & Paste - at least that is what I do.
JohnsonMiller , 08-24-2016, 11:28 AM
- I did login and it works, but I was wondering why we need to login for a simple data checking?! On same PC with browser no login is needed, while for altium I have to login! I just want to make sure that it is not related to some setting or adjustments.

- just 0.1nF caps are more than 200, I do not like to do it manually, there should be some sort of component selecting and grouping and then updating them all at once, am I expecting too much?
robertferanec , 08-24-2016, 01:00 PM
- Login: I guess, it is due security maybe to prevent anonymous database access or attack. Altium is probably using Mouser API to access the database and not "web browser" access.

- There is library management, that may help you: http://www.fedevel.com/designhelp/fo...or-part-update
JohnsonMiller , 08-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Thank you,
I started to update schematic and since project id already done and number of component is too high I can not create individual library part for each components, (I used one cap/res and changed the value).
Thing is going smooth, just got one issue.

Please take a look at fig1, it is data I got from supplier and added to component, I need supplier description (right side) to be replaced with original (left side), I tried several string forms but it dose not work. In the BOM I would like the supplier description to be appear in the description filed, sample BOM in Fig2, but it is not working! any help?

BR,

Fig1
Fig2
mairomaster , 08-26-2016, 01:52 AM
You don't need the quotes, just use =Description. Similarly to the way you do it with =Resistance in the Comment field.
JohnsonMiller , 08-26-2016, 04:22 AM
Thank you Mariomaster for your answer, I tried different options before posting, after your response I gave it another try, Not working. Attached a screen shoot,
Two new issues that show up,
1) my PC is very slow when I ask to generate BOM, I guess something over network is happening.
2) with a simple close/open project some fields including Description disappeared, I had to add it again!
mairomaster , 08-26-2016, 05:59 AM
Alright, now I think I know what might be the problem. You have two different things:

- First is the description of a component, which is the standard Altium description field available in every schematic symbol.
- Second is the Description custom parameter you have in your components.

In the BOM you should include only of them. I believe the only working option will be to include the Description custom parameter. I don't think you can use =Description for the standard description field the same way as you do it for the Comment field (I got confused in my previous post).
JohnsonMiller , 08-26-2016, 07:28 AM
Yes, exactly; I do have two descriptions one from library and next from supplier data; in the BOM I wish to put the second description. It must be possible to select the second description from left-bottom side of BOM GUI, correct? (the area is red box in this figure).
No such selection exist! This was reason that I tried other methods to do that.

mairomaster , 08-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Did you try the option Include Parameters From Vault which is under the list?
JohnsonMiller , 08-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Yes, I did. Still no way.
mairomaster , 08-26-2016, 10:42 AM
If you have all other Vault parameters available and you don't have the description, my only guess could be that it's not working because of the duplicate name. That would be a bit strange though.
robertferanec , 08-28-2016, 07:01 AM
I am not sure if it is possible to use component "Description" field for that. In my Altium, only component "Comment" filed gives me option to select from the component parameters. So, this means, in your BOM use "Comment" instead of "Description".

JohnsonMiller , 08-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Hi,

A problem showed up at first place, when I update a component, after a simple close/open project some fields just disappear without any error or warning message, I tried different setting but not fixed yet!
I do not insist to replace supplier Description with any item in the property fields, any possibility to add it to the BOM is just enough, but not manually! Now I have to update it one by one, annoying and error prone.

BR,
robertferanec , 08-30-2016, 06:28 PM
But in BOM you can use any parameter. Just edit the Altium template and create Column with the Parameter you want to use.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?