| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Outline&Cutout

JohnsonMiller , 09-04-2016, 05:41 AM
Hi Guys,

In a board definition layer, we usually refer to outline with keep out layer, correct?
How to define cutout on the same board? Cutout is inside board.

I used keep out layer for both case, but manufacturer start complaining the board is not unit! what do you suggest?

BR,
robertferanec , 09-05-2016, 05:19 PM
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. In AD16 go to PCB and then: Design -> Board Shape -> Define Board Cutout. In other AD's it can be a little bit different as they have changed these menus.
JohnsonMiller , 09-06-2016, 01:01 AM
Dear Robert, main problem is the questions which we exchange with manufacturer, I would like to stick to standard methods and reduce this back-and-forth flow of question which is also time consuming. So the question is how to report cutout to manufacturer. I made the cutout, but marked it with keep out layer, but as I mentioned, manufacturer started to complain and we need to add explanation. I was wondering may be another layer is defined for cutout other than keep out layer.

Another issue, and raised question. When we add a measurement to the board, does it mean that manufacturer should report it back on manufactured and actual board, or no, it is just for board designer use?
mairomaster , 09-06-2016, 01:53 AM
You can do the cutout as Robert explained. After that draw its border in the board profile mechanical layer you use. You can also add label over it, in the manufacturing notes mechanical layer. And if you want to be absolutely safe, it doesn't hurt adding a note in the list of manufacturing notes. I don't really think manufacturers use the keep-out layer. I personally almost never use it myself - I mostly use keep-out regions on particular layers.

Dimensions both help the design team and the manufacturer. Normally all dimensions could be taken from the gerbers as well, but it is a nice touch to have the most important dimensions visible so they can be always quickly checked.
robertferanec , 09-06-2016, 10:56 AM
I agree with @mairomaster.We do not do anything special - just have a board outline layer with a thick line showing the board outline which also, in your case, would include the cutouts. To be safe, you can add a label with and arrow, but they should understand the drawing. In some cases, we may use thinner lines to show the "PCB body"

I do not think that PCB manufacturer necessary needs mechanical drawing (with all the dimensions), but we include it as it can quickly provide information about board size for quick PCB quote calculation. We create this layer especially for documentation e.g. manuals.

We almost do not use keep out layers. If needed I would only use it for rules and I would not show it in output documentation.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?