| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

PCB Merge

JohnsonMiller , 09-24-2016, 01:46 PM
Hi Guys,

In order to reduce manufacturing cost, we used to merge several 2 layer PCB and ordering total merged design; went ok no problem,

Would like to do same with 4 layer PCBs, but unable to copy and paste internal planes, just top/bottom is copied! any help?

BR,
robertferanec , 09-26-2016, 11:16 AM
That is interesting. Maybe that could somehow work - but the planes may need to be assigned to the same net (?). Did you enable all layers when you were doing the selection (are all the layers visible)?

If we are placing more boards on one PCB, we normally create one common design for all the boards (we place all the schematics into one big schematic). Only what you need to be careful is, that you need to rename some nets e.g. GND and make it like GND1, GND2, GND3 ... or something what gives more sense. Then in PCB you create panel and place inside all the boards. However, this may be tricky for your current case - maybe try to ask your PCB manufacturer to place it on one panel?

Please, let us know how you solved the problem. Thank you.

JohnsonMiller , 09-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Yes, all layers are visible and enabled,

No, not making a big combined schematic, that will make life very difficult! Instead finishing each project separately, after finalizing each PCB, merging PCBs in single file. Just need to define borders, and asking manufacturer to CNC cut on specified layer, for us it is usually keep out layer. Point is that after coping a PCB, pate should be done with edit->special paste, it will ask what to do with duplicate nets, we usually allow duplicate net.

Attached is s ample design, including 5 PCBs which each done in separate sch/pcb project

On 2 layer project there is no problem, but with 4 layers no success yet!
robertferanec , 09-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Hmm, the only idea I have is to double check names and net assigments of the planes - maybe they need to be exactly the same. Possibly, try to copy and paste the board into the same PCB project, just double check if this goes with no problem. Maybe someone else have other ideas?

PS: I have never try it, but maybe this could be a good example to try Snippets: http://techdocs.altium.com/display/A...(Snippets))_AD
JohnsonMiller , 09-30-2016, 02:59 AM
Hi,

I tried Snippets, same problem appears, internal planes are copied but not paste properly!
any comments?

BR,
robertferanec , 10-01-2016, 07:53 AM
@JohnsonMiller please, can you confirm the layer names are the same?

@mairomaster / @petrtos, please do you have experience with this (problems with copying an Altium plane layer)?
mairomaster , 10-01-2016, 01:05 PM
I don't remember doing this myself. @JohnsonMiller is it appropriate to share the PCB file so we can take a closer look? Maybe you can send a link on private?
JohnsonMiller , 10-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Hi,

Robert, yes I confirm that layers are the same in number and names,
I put order and asked manufacturer same question, they told me that they have proper tool for this job, but point is that charging me over 30%.

but I do believe that we should fix this issue or find some solution,

BR
robertferanec , 10-05-2016, 08:39 AM
I tested it on simple two PCBs and Copy&Paste worked with no problems between internal Planes (it basically only copy the objects in the internal planes). So, I believe it should work, it may be something specific on your PCB. Or, what exactly is the problem - net assignments? Did you try Edit -> Paste Special -> Keep net name?
JohnsonMiller , 10-06-2016, 05:43 AM
Thank you Robert,
On which board you made the test? I would like to repeat it.
Did you make any change on setting or defaults?

BR,
robertferanec , 10-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Not a real board. In our boards we only use simple GND Altium planes, we do not have any Alium plane layers with objects or different nets .... for these we use "layers".

I just created two New PCBs, added two more internal planes, draw some objects, Copy & Pasted them to the the second PCB ... worked oki.
MadhuWesly , 01-23-2018, 10:09 PM
@robertferanec when you copy & paste them to the second PCB, are you able to get all the net-names along with the routed traces?
robertferanec , 01-24-2018, 06:41 PM
@MadhuWesly, to keep netnames you need to use Edit -> Paste Special: Check Keep net name

MadhuWesly , 01-24-2018, 10:02 PM
Urgent!

Can anyone tell how to resolve the following error PFA??
robertferanec , 01-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Could you be more specific what you are trying to do?
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?