| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

about the pad

CORTEX , 10-17-2016, 03:58 AM
Hi Robert

I have a question for you.

the shape in the picture I have sent in Attachment How do I do it.

Best Regards

mairomaster , 10-17-2016, 06:00 AM
Hi CORTEX,

The mounting hole you can do in different ways. The one in the picture consists of a TH pad with 0 pad size and a particular hole size. Also they have probably used a 360 degrees arc on the Solder Mask layer with a particular width, to create the exposed solder mask region for the screw head.
robertferanec , 10-17-2016, 06:51 AM
We just create a component called Mounting hole (in schematic it is a simple 1 pin symbol, in PCB it is a simple PAD). You can check it in one of our projects e.g. download OpenRex Altium files: http://www.imx6rex.com/open-rex/ or our 28Pins project: http://www.28pins.com/download/

CORTEX , 10-17-2016, 02:21 PM
Hi Thanks

I did solder pad externally around the upper.

could be the correct method ?

Best Regards

mairomaster , 10-18-2016, 01:55 AM
I forgot to mention that you also need a keep-out shape, so that polygon pours and other copper won't get into the area - otherwise your risk the screw head to damage something. The easiest way to achieve this is to create the arc on the top layer, to define it as a keep-out (from properties) and to set a solder mask expansion (could be from rules).

However, in general that is not a very good approach in my opinion. I create my mounting holes the same way as Robert - using simple TH pads with a pad diameter big enough for the screw head. Apart from no need to worry about keep-outs, there is a copper surface below the screw head which in theory makes the mounting hole a bit more durable. It also looks better in my opinion and it is the most common method of creating mounting holes.
CORTEX , 10-18-2016, 01:59 AM
Thanks

up to the diameter of the screw hole made of solder coated with

mairomaster , 10-18-2016, 04:34 AM
I am afraid I don't speak Turkish :P

EDIT: Ok it is in english now
robertferanec , 10-18-2016, 06:36 AM
@CORTEX, as @mairomaster mentioned, your mounting hole PAD diameter should be at least as large as the screw head, otherwise it can make short circuit between your plane and mounting hole.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?