| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Slikscreen Link

JohnsonMiller , 01-12-2017, 02:59 AM
Hi Guys,

I used to deploy "comment" filed in schematic to add name to silkscreen layer, using this method it was very easy to synchronize schematic and PCB. For example, naming a connector "VGA OUT", I just add a that string to "comment" filed and make it visible on PCB, then any change will be transferred to PCB automatically; However since the "comment" field is used for pick&place machines, I can not use that method anymore!

I was wondering what is your suggested way to app string to PCB and keep it synchronized with schematic?

BR,
mairomaster , 01-12-2017, 03:34 AM
I don't think the pick and place machines care about the comment field at all - what makes you believe that? If that's the case with your assembler, that will be quite odd. Maybe we had a similar discussion some time ago?

The designator/comment are the only two standard parameters that can be displayed on the silk screen layer for a component. In Altium 17 you can import other custom component parameters to the PCB as well, but I am not sure if that can be used for the same purpose.

If I need information labels on the silkscreen layer, I just place such manually. Normally I don't need that many and I don't need to change them often after being placed, so that works well for me. Also I always use the comments for either the value of the component (reistors, capacitors, inductors, etc) or the part number (ICs and others) - those are never displayed on the PCB and only used for the schematic.
robertferanec , 01-12-2017, 09:39 AM
I do it exactly the same way as @mairomaster explained and I agree with his comment.
JohnsonMiller , 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Hi,

" what makes you believe that?"
Reason is the library system that I am currently using, I am not allowed to change any field in components. So that for the mentioned task, SCH to PCB link is actually broken.

Yes, once we had similar discussion, that I was about to fix this issue using supplier link and it failed in BOM generation.
That time, the descriptor field was out of sync, and silkscreen issue was there as well.

The reason I bring this issue forward is some design in which I saw statement specifying some text and asking PCB designer to put it on silkscreen layer, I tought probably we can do it by using project parameter by setting it for PCB and schematics.

I have also used your proposed method, but problem is possibility of forgetting to update in PCB,

BR,
robertferanec , 01-13-2017, 10:13 AM
I tought probably we can do it by using project parameter by setting it for PCB and schematics.
You can use project parameters if you like.

Ah, I understand now - if two different people are working on the project (one on schematic and one on PCB), then yes, you may want to have a system / procedure how to transfer notes from schematic into PCB ... and especially the text changes.
JohnsonMiller , 01-14-2017, 02:10 AM
Yes, exactly;
schematic and PCB designers are different and I would like to keep the schematic as main source
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?