| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Polygon Void

JohnsonMiller , 02-01-2017, 02:24 AM
Hi Guys,

I have switched to AD17 and saw a strange case,

With older AD and polygon pour edges around component was sharp and helpful in soldering, here is a sample:

while with AD17 and with no design rule or ploygon property change sharp edges is gone! Here is a sample:

I was wondering if you can help to resolve it, and restore the old AD settings?

Best Regards
mairomaster , 02-01-2017, 02:33 AM
I am not entirely sure, but I believe they just changed the pour behaviour to do this automatically. What is the problem with this? It is smarter in a way.
JohnsonMiller , 02-01-2017, 08:25 AM
Dear Mairomaster, thank you for response,
Probably no issue, but personally I do not have good feeling, and so would like to return settings to get result as first image. Any help?
DanielOuroo , 04-06-2017, 08:39 AM
I have the same problem when i am using the AD17 but when i go back to version 16, the ground planes are generated with the exact negative shape of the PAD. That is specially concerning when designing with RF considerations and the arcs that appear around the PADs might influence the Impedance of the tracks and the ruturn loss of the signals. Does anybody know how to solve this in AD 17?
robertferanec , 04-06-2017, 11:44 AM
I have not seen any option to switch this rounding off. But I was not looking for too long.
JohnsonMiller , 04-13-2017, 02:34 AM
Hi Guys,

I faced a big problem rooted back to this Altium's new feature,
Due to a little shift in solder mask, on corners polygon was exposed and soldered to PAD during assembly and manufacturing. Imagine a big boards with lots of short circuit and fast coming deadline!

I do not see any advantage about this feature, so believe Altium should do something about this issue.

BR,
robertferanec , 04-13-2017, 11:20 PM
What was the clearance set between polygon and pad? A small mask shifting sometimes happen, but it should not cause short circuits.
JohnsonMiller , 04-14-2017, 11:55 AM
Shift on that specific board was more than small, and I learned to add extra rule using "Inpolygon" to space polygon with pads and lines more, currently 15mil, hope it helps.

But, the main request still is here! I need square polygon around square PAD, Altium should add this feature and let me to select between; what you say?
robertferanec , 04-16-2017, 11:34 AM
I do not know. I guess, some people would like to have sharp corners, others would like to use rounded corners. There is probably a reason why Altium decided to change it. However, I agree, they should keep option for people to go back to the original shapes. Maybe the option is there, we just have not found it yet.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?