| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Altium Upgrade? Need help deciding

mnpebm , 05-24-2017, 05:33 AM
I am currently using version 15.1.16 and it has been working fine. Seldom any crashes!

I am a one-man shop (part-time work) and while I have the money to renew my subscription ($2000), I am not sure it is worth it.

Not sure if Altium 17/18 will help me get any new work. Perhaps frustrate me with things that have changed and even new bugs??

Any advice?

Thanks,
Mike
In HIM Design
mairomaster , 05-24-2017, 09:07 AM
I would rather go for 16 if you have a cheap option for that. I don't think 17 is really worth the money over 16. Another option is to wait for another half an year until 18 comes out and go for it. They say it will be 64 bit which is a huge jump by itself, even not considering what the other improvements would be.
robertferanec , 05-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Honestly, for most of our designs we still continue using AD14. Only what we may use from the latest Altiums are xSignals and 3D PDF - but you can easily do designs without these features. If I would not teach about Altium, I would not keep upgrading. Basically, you can design any board even in older Altiums - and I love using old Altiums, because I exactly know how it behaves, how it works and what doesn't work - so no surprises no frustration.

Perhaps frustrate me with things that have changed and even new bugs??
- This is the main reason why we do not use the latest versions of Altium
mnpebm , 05-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Thanks to both of you. Just what I needed to hear.
I have not use the xSignals feature in 15 yet, but I may be doing a DDR3 design in the next year, so perhaps I can try it then.
(Good thing I have watched the ADV PCB design course a few times now!) I realize you didn't cover the xSignals but the training was perfect nonetheless.

Have a good day.
robertferanec , 05-24-2017, 09:57 AM
I have done additional videos about the most important updates. Here you can find also info about xSignals, maybe it can be helpful for you: http://www.fedevel.com/academy/updates/
mnpebm , 05-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Yes! I had those bookmarked Robert.
Mike
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?