| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

ways to save time to copy a design previously made in to a new project..

ican7 , 06-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Hi Robert, I would like to copy the part of a pcb that I designed previously, along with its schematic, in to my new project. However I have already started my new project and there are already many modules in it. My old design have many components. The problem is when I copy my old design in to the new one I dont want to spent a lot of time fixing the designators and the net names to prevent the duplicatons. Is there another way where Altium does it automatic to save time?
robertferanec , 06-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Can not you reset designators of you new schematic, copy and paste the old project (keep designators) and then just re-annotate? Of course, in case you have already started PCB, you would need to be careful about PCB <-> Schematic Symbol links.
ican7 , 06-03-2017, 03:24 PM
ok how about if I make a project hierarchy ?
robertferanec , 06-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Maybe. I do not use hierarchy, but I think you may have an option to use a special prefix for components inside a block.
ican7 , 06-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Thank you Robert. It works now.
robertferanec , 06-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Did you use the prefix?
ican7 , 06-09-2017, 02:41 PM
My previous design I wanted to copy in to new one had so many components so I reset all the schematics on the new one and added the old one. But I really like to know how to copy multiple designs in to one design without manual modification of all the designators on both schematic and the pcb. I saw in some Orcad introduction videos the engineer easily copy one design in to another without a hassle why not in Altium?
ican7 , 06-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Robert I found an easy way but I reckon this method is introduced in the Altium 17. Its called snippets. Did you know?
robertferanec , 06-12-2017, 03:23 AM
I checked snippets some time ago, but for some reason it was not very interesting for me - however I do not remember why
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?