| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

FPC pin 1 position

jaguarondi , 08-06-2017, 01:48 AM
Hello everyone,

I have an FPC connector for an LCD. The FPC is bent back below the LCD where the connector is. In that configuration, I have to use a bottom contact FPC connector but I end-up having pin 1 of the cable connected to pin 50 of the FPC connector.

Being new to PCB design, I just wonder what's the proper way to handle this, should I reverse the connections on the schematic or have another footprint where all pins are reversed ?

Thank you for your suggestions,
David
robertferanec , 08-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Normally, the pin 1 is marked in datasheet or/and connector. You should mark you PCB footprint and create schematic symbol according the pin 1 information from datasheet.

Why? Normally pin 1 is also marked on the connector (e.g. normally it is marked by small triangle). If you do not use this as pin 1 in your footprint, then it could be very confusing for people who will be using your board.
jaguarondi , 08-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Hi Robert,

Yes you're right, I think that the symbol and footprint should keep pin 1 as standard. It's just that pin 1 of the FPC connector will be connected to pin 50 of the FPC cable, at least the way it is marked on the cable itself. And so on the schematic, pin 1 will be connected to signal 50 of the LCD datasheet, etc. But I guess this is the more coherent solution.
robertferanec , 08-08-2017, 10:57 AM
It's just that pin 1 of the FPC connector will be connected to pin 50 of the FPC cable, at least the way it is marked on the cable itself. And so on the schematic, pin 1 will be connected to signal 50 of the LCD datasheet, etc.
That should be fine. Just mention it in your documentation.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?