| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to Cross Probe net then Reposition Selected Component without losing highlighting

logictom , 10-07-2017, 09:06 PM
I am working through one of the courses and see that a net or pin can be cross probed, which is then highlighted in the PCB, then select a component in the schematic and use Reposition Selected Component in the PCB, but when I go to select the component I lose the net highlighting.
I've uploaded a short clip of what I am doing on YouTube. I select Cross Probe, left click the VIN pin, right click to cancel the cross probe, left click the capacitor which then deselects the net highlighting.
Recorded with http://screencast-o-matic.com
robertferanec , 10-08-2017, 05:49 PM
This will help you: https://www.fedevel.com/academy/updates/ especially this: https://www.fedevel.com/welldoneblog...e-new-old-way/

Basically, Altium has broke that feature
logictom , 10-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Thanks Robert, I forgot to check that page for the new "features".
I tried following the new way but I am getting the same issue, see this clip

However, I am pretty sure when I tried this on my work machine it worked - I will retry this and post the results. Both machines are running 17.1

I did notice that if you hold shift when making the first selection - I'm not sure if you are doing this or not in your video - that it works the same or similar to the old way, see this clip where I hold shift when selecting the first component
robertferanec , 10-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Tom, the SHIFT trick is NICE!!!!!! I tested it in AD17, it works Thank you!
logictom , 10-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Glad to have helped
Viacheslav , 04-20-2020, 11:35 AM
Hello Robert,
I am working on Advanced PCB Layout Course and I have the same problem with Altium 20
Maybe something wrong with PCB settings.
Do You know such problem with new Altium version?

highlighting loses every time when I press reposition selected component.

robertferanec , 04-21-2020, 11:13 AM
Viacheslav , 04-21-2020, 11:36 AM
Thank You Robert,
Altium changes the UI between versions and If I correctly understand in version 20 is not possible "reposition selected component" in dim mode. Diplay will becom colored after presing that button.
robertferanec , 04-21-2020, 11:38 AM
The video is in AD20 and yes, it is not as good as it used to be
robertferanec , 11-27-2020, 07:06 AM
An excellent tip from Marek! Thank you.

Be sure that in Preferences->PCB Editor->Display you UNCHECK these two options:
- Apply Mask During Interactive Editing
- Apply Highlight During Interactive Editing

When these settings are unchecked, when you will be placing components, the mask will stay ON!
michael_v , 05-31-2023, 11:54 PM
I ran into the same problem on AD23. To make it work I have to do both, uncheck the two options and hold shift while making the selection(s).
qdrives , 06-01-2023, 01:04 PM
For shift click to select:
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?