| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Data Backup/Recovery

JohnsonMiller , 01-19-2018, 11:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Along with design issues, we all need a strategy for keeping design data up to date and recover them if needed. It is crucial since we have valued customer, who need precise data in project active time and even after fabrication.
I am currently running no version control on PC, but taking backup regularly. Problem is the tracking design data with daily change is becoming difficult, and stored data is increasing in size.

I am thinking to setup a system for this backup/recovery issue, and need your suggestion. Actually question is in two folds.
1) Do you recommend setting up a version control system? Does Altium contain internal version control system, does it support external version control software? Does the check in/out process of version control software affect the Altium's speed?
2) The second part and probably most critical, is how to take back up in external storage. What do you suggest? I need external storage to keep old data and also to be in-sync with design folders.

Any of your comment or hint strongly appreciated,

BR,
robertferanec , 01-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Altium does support version control. Some people use it, I tried it, but it didn't work well for me. I do not really need to go back to previous versions (if I do big changes, I simply zip the whole directory and mark it by date). What I use is a NAS server (with double harddrive) + automatic NAS server synchronization with google drive. I have to say, I regularly use versioning system (e.g. github) for software development and other files, but I have not really found it very useful for schematics or PCB.

PS: I used to do backup on external harddrives. Then I decided to buy NAS (I have simple TS-453A: https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-Professi.../dp/B017YB7T6U ). When I bought the NAS server I was like - I should buy it long time ago - it's so good. You will need to add price for hardrives, but it is worth it. I run two 2TB mirrored (doubled) hardrives + 8TB hardrive. One slot is empty in case I need it. On the mirrored harddrives I store the most important every day work, on the 8T I store the files which are not updated so frequently. The mirrored harddrives are synchronized with google drive (in case of fire or something really bad happen in our office), the 8T hardrive is backed up once a week to Amazon Glacier (cheap archive storage online).

PSS: However, if your client has very special requirements e.g. no cloud, then you may want to use NAS and other approach (e.g. another NAS on different place or external storage which you will then keep outside of your office).
JohnsonMiller , 01-23-2018, 02:41 AM
Dear Robert,
Thank you for your detailed answer,

There are a related question, how do you prefer to version/revision the design, and when you consider a design released? Do you freeze design after release and issue new version/revision in case of error or bug? and how do you remark released design? I saw "Released" in your designs at revision or title page.

BR,
robertferanec , 01-23-2018, 08:06 PM
Version change: when boards are no compatible
Revision change: when boards are still compatible
Released: when sent to production
Freezing: we keep copy of the project which was sent to production - it is stored in our Released directory: https://github.com/FEDEVEL/fedevel-p...Source%20Files Then we keep recording required changes for next version/revision in project directory https://github.com/FEDEVEL/fedevel-p...ame_/V1I1/TODO
Remark: I am not sure what you mean. We do not remark released designs, if we continue developing it, it will have new version or revision.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?