| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Film Resistors

JohnsonMiller , 04-07-2018, 07:05 AM
Hi Guys,

Do you know what is difference between Thin Film, Thick Film, and Chip Resistor?

BR,
robertferanec , 04-08-2018, 06:32 PM
This is what I found on wiki (more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resist..._and_thin_film ):

Thick film resistors became popular during the 1970s, and most SMD (surface mount device) resistors today are of this type. The resistive element of thick films is 1000 times thicker than thin films,[12] but the principal difference is how the film is applied to the cylinder (axial resistors) or the surface (SMD resistors).

Thin film resistors are made by sputtering (a method of vacuum deposition) the resistive material onto an insulating substrate. The film is then etched in a similar manner to the old (subtractive) process for making printed circuit boards; that is, the surface is coated with a photo-sensitive material, then covered by a pattern film, irradiated with ultraviolet light, and then the exposed photo-sensitive coating is developed, and underlying thin film is etched away.

"Chip resistor" looks to me like just a generic name for all the kind of SMD resistors, at least the is where I usually see the name ( http://www.samsungsem.com/global/pro...stor/index.jsp ):
Chip resistors have the characteristics of limiting DC or AC. Such characteristics are used to drop the voltage or maintain the current at a certain level inside an electronic circuit. Resistance basically follows the Ohm’s law. Materials of high and low electrical conductivities are used together to realize the required resistance value. The main resistance element materials of chip-type resistors are SiO2, RuO2, and CuNi, making it possible to make products that have high resistance, low resistance, ultralow resistance, antisulfur, and array resistance properties.
JohnsonMiller , 04-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Dear Robert,

Thank you for your reply,
I would like to ask second question by directing it toward circuit design. With specific resistor value, under a certain power dissipation, and 1% accuracy, do I need to care about type of resistor?

BR,
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?