| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

make a single-layer board

alferdvidal , 05-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Hi guys
How can I make a single-layer board and also an aluminum profile?
Regards
Alfred
robertferanec , 05-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Could you be more specific? Do you mean a board + aluminium box? Or do you mean Aluminium PCB? I am not really sure.
alferdvidal , 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Hi, Robert
I had an LED project. The customer asked me the following:
The board should be in mcpcb(aluminium), but you made it FR4; is this going to affect the gerber file ? or I need to tell to the board manufacturer that it is in aluminium ?
My question was this
Thank you
Alferd
robertferanec , 05-08-2018, 09:16 AM
I have never done aluminium PCB, but I guess, the gerber files should be the same. You definitely will need to tell PCB manufacturer, that it should be made as an Aluminium PCB.

There may be more variants of aluminium PCBs, but what I have seen on Internet, the variant which you are probably targeting looks like a standard PCB, just instead of FR4 is used Aluminium (for better thermal properties). Here is something what I found: http://www.amitroncorp.com/printed-c.../aluminum.html

How Are Aluminum PCBs Made?
A thin layer of thermally conductive but electrically insulating dielectric is laminated between a metal base and a copper foil. The copper foil is etched into the desired circuit pattern and the metal base draws heat away from this circuit through the thin dielectric.
alferdvidal , 05-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Dear Robert
Thank you so much for guidance. I saw the link
Now, my question is, how do these settings work in altium?
Should I do something?
Thank you
Alfred
robertferanec , 05-08-2018, 07:07 PM
I am not sure what do you mean, what settings?
alferdvidal , 05-09-2018, 04:12 AM
Dear Robert
I mean, how can I make this pcb single layer
Regards
Alfred
robertferanec , 05-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Just route everything on the TOP layer and when you will be sending gerber files to your PCB house, only send them TOP layer gerber files (+ all the other files which they will need e.g. drill files etc). Do not send them BOTTOM layer - it will be empty anyway.
alferdvidal , 05-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Thank you a lot Robert
Alferd
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?