| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

PORTs or NETs in Altium schematics's

Mihai , 11-05-2018, 07:53 AM
Hi,

I am wondering which is better as solution to link the same nets electrically together in one schematic sheet. I have been using the nets for a long time, now I am trying to link them using ports. Hence I have a question:

Lets say I have an input signal, e.g. RESET, which goes from a push-button to an uC. For this I use a port configured as output tied to the push-button and another port with the same name but configured as input and tied to the uC as shown in the attached figure (highlighted with red).

Please let me know if this solution it is correct to be used, if not please provide me a better way.
Thanks!

Cheers,
Mihai
robertferanec , 11-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Ports are only between between sheets - two ports with same name on one page will create compilation working / error. I use ports, because you can automatically add page number where signal continues: https://www.fedevel.com/welldoneblog...tium-designer/
Mihai , 11-09-2018, 01:02 AM
Thank you Robert.
Now it is clear for me. However if I have a signal generated from a switch (e.g. RST signal) in sheet 1 and tied to the uC in the sheet 2. Should I draw the RST signal port as output in the sheet 1 and as input to sheet 2? I suppose this has to be the logic.

Cheers,
Mihai
robertferanec , 11-12-2018, 01:36 AM
yes, that is correct (signal going out of the sheet is output, signal coming into the sheet is input), but ... .... For simple and clear signals, you can set port IO type as Input, Output or Bidirectional. This is useful for Error checking. For more complex signals - e.g. one output going to several inputs or more open collector signals connected together the warnings and errors may be misleading - in this cases I set port IO type as Unspecified.
Mihai , 11-12-2018, 01:56 AM
Thank you again for your advice.

Cheers,
Mihai
Paul van Avesaath , 11-19-2018, 02:12 AM
always stick with global net structure, when going to large designs! it will make your life much easier... I.M.H.O.
if you go the port way you also need to make them for power etc. just too much hassle for me...
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?