| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to show nets on only selected components during placement?

miner_tom , 12-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Hi, I have videos from the layout course that shows that when a component is selected, during placement, nets are hidden until the component is selected. This, I can see, makes it easy to see the best position or layer for a component. On my system, using Altium 18.1, I have options to view->connections where all connections are visible or no connections are visible. I have not been able to see in the documentation how to show nets on a component while moving it around.

Thank You
Tom
robertferanec , 12-04-2018, 07:49 AM
miner_tom , 12-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Robert, Some components, when selected, show net hightlighting. Other components, when selected, do not show highlighting.

Hopfully, this video will show what I mean.

Tom
robertferanec , 12-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Hmm, I do not know. Sometimes this happen to me too, but I have never really investigated why it is happening. Did you try to close the PCB and open it again? Also, are not the connectors locked down?
miner_tom , 12-06-2018, 09:49 AM
Robert, "It's not a feature, it's a bug". I spoke to Altium tech support and they said the following:

"This is a bug that seems to affect larger component. The suggested workaround is to open Preferences>System>General>Click the Advanced... button located on the bottom right. When the advanced settings dialog pops up go to PCB.ComponentDrag.ConnectionLimit and change the Value from 50 to a much larger number like 500. "

I tested this workaround and it works.

Regards
Tom

robertferanec , 12-07-2018, 08:36 AM
WOW! Thank you @miner_tom for sharing this. That really is interesting.
Paul van Avesaath , 12-11-2018, 04:28 AM
Cool I did not know this either!
I used to do this:

in the PCB push "N" hide connections -> all , then "N" again choose Show connections on component, this way only connections from that component are shown. use this a lot when placing components on the board. (make sure you have nets shown on in the view configuration - system colors)
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?