| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to Create Different Fanout Patterns for BGA Package

mohsin_qau , 12-04-2018, 07:17 AM
Dear All,

I am working on the Altium Designer 18, on one of the project. For our BGA Package, I need to design a PCB. This IC is a 400 Pins 0.8mm Pitch with 0.4mm Ball Size in FBGA. For this IC, I want to create Multiple Fan-out Pattern scheme. Please guide me how can I implement this in the Altium automatically other than Dog bone or X- pattern. Please see the attachment for my requirement.
Please guide also the uvia pad size and diameter.
robertferanec , 12-04-2018, 08:09 AM
I think you can do automatic fanout in Altium, but the fanout from picture can be easily done through COPY and PASTE - make one fanout, copy it to multiple pins, then select more pins and use COPY and PASTE again - it will be quick.

For specific dimensions, check the reference design. Also, you will need to know what kind of PCB technology you would like to use. Have a look for example at our iMX6 Rex projects: especially the iMX6 Rex module https://www.imx6rex.com/ (this is using also uVIAs and buried VIAs) or on OpenRex https://www.imx6rex.com/open-rex/ (this is using through hole VIAs only). From the website you can download the complete Altium projects.

PS: I do not normally do fanout this way. To be able to use this kind of nice fanout you may need to have enough signal layers, a lot of space no the board or a chip with very good pinout. Often I do fanout manually based on how I need to route the specific pin.
mohsin_qau , 12-04-2018, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes i already downloaded iMX6REX Project & getting many guidelines.
mohsin_qau , 12-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Hi Robert,

I have one more question is that to Test the BGA Pattern, i placed BGA Component on the Existing Project along with the connector.Remove all the remaining components. When i want to select any BGA Pad or Via on that BGA component, the Altium select Whole of the component instead of individual Pad.
Please help me in that, whys that Altium doing that?

Pictures are attached for the reference.
robertferanec , 12-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Lock down the BGA
mairomaster , 12-14-2018, 08:20 AM
^This, or use the new selection filter from the properties window in Altium 18. It is amazing!

As a side note, 400 pin 0.4mm pitch BGA package will be a real pain in the ass to fan out if there are too many signals deep in the ball grid.
LevDower , 02-11-2021, 08:42 AM
Hi....I have never had karma getting any autofanout on sub 1mm pitch bgas to work and I utilize over the top expensive programming at work. All things considered, TI's suggested steering fanouts for fine pitch bgas are normally not reasonable for dependability and producibility and very few fab houses can manage 2.5 mil tracks. I don't have their spec before me however yet I speculate they accept blending up meager signs on external layer to crush through strangely little through openings. Regularly, I use microvias on the BGA cushion and layer 2 would be an internal by means of among 2 and solderside-1 layer. This permits the mass of decoupling covers (402 size) to fill the solderside under the part appended to inward through with solderside microvia and 4 mil tracks to be utilized on internal layers.

quick turn pcb assembly
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?