| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Altium 18.1: Cross Select Mode

Salam Alkhawri , 12-08-2018, 12:58 AM
HI

I have cross select mode enabled on both Schematic and Pcb, but when I try to select a component on either of the window it doesn't select it on the other window. I'd appreciate the help.

Sorry for my bad English.

Thanks
Salam Alkhawri
robertferanec , 12-11-2018, 03:08 AM
You probably need to have the PCB in the same project as is your schematic. At this moment your PCB is under Free Documents.
Comments:
Salam Alkhawri, 12-15-2018, 04:52 AM
HI RobertFirst, thank you very much for the help. I have one more thing. I'm still a beginner in PCB design, therefore, sometimes I find it hard to know how to choose my components and then create their footprints. Are there any tips/ advice you can give me to easy the way when creating footprints for any components ? I like reading the datasheet for the footprint but once there is something I don't know about my head start spinning and then I get lost :/Regards Salam Alkhawri
robertferanec , 12-18-2018, 01:30 AM
Creating footprints is not difficult. Just practice - create footprints by yourself and you will see, soon you will have enough confidence and you will not be thinking about that much - you will just do it. Also, what may help, do not create footprints for every component which you place into your schematic - often happen, that you may need to delete or re-do your schematic. First, finish schematic and only then create footprints.
Paul van Avesaath , 12-19-2018, 02:34 AM
I agree with robert, practice practice and you will find that creating the footprint is easy.. reading the datasheet correctly is the hard part in some cases.. .

you can use the default libs for most cases like 0402/0603 sot23 etc (basic components).. (i personally don't) but once you have a lot of own footprints its easy to re-use or adapt.

one note that might be helpfull is to add the margin to a footprint recommendation.
so if a pad is let say 1mm wide with a margin of +/-0.05, make the footprint pad 1.05 wide.. gives you a bit less trouble sometimes when you go to manufacturing..

also when creating your footprint it is somethimes really helpfull to switch your reference point (E-F-Lkeyboard shortcut).. it removes the hassle of calculating values from x/y coordinates..
just remember to reset it to center or pin 1 when you are done.. personally I use center-ref for IC and pin 1 ref for connectors..

or set your grid to a specific value ( G-G keyboard shortcut) just to punch a gazillion pads in a row with exact spacing..

alsways set your ouline bigger than the component (use a 6mil line) so that you can still see the outline when the component is placed...

hope this helps you a bit.. and good luck.. if you have made your footprints.. show and tell!!! would love to see them!
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?