| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

TRACEABILITY PAD

JohnsonMiller , 02-06-2019, 06:32 AM
Hi Guys,

I come across this product: Molex TRACEABILITY PAD (91658-0020), looks to be a 2D unique code in the form of small 1210 resistor. Can be soldered on the board like other components, and acting as serial number.

I am wondering are you familiar with it? Is there any similar product from other manufacturer?
It looks reading data needs especial micro scanner, can one use mobile camera or lab microscope to read and decode this code?

Regards,
Paul van Avesaath , 02-06-2019, 07:07 AM
Hi, I have never seen this.. its pretty cool actually..
if you need tracebility you can also do your own QR in the top silk or copper.. if you want ..
or a sticker.,.
could not find anything about readout of this.. i think a production AOI could do it.
JohnsonMiller , 02-06-2019, 10:53 AM
QR does not give each board unique ID, it just help to identify the batch
Paul van Avesaath , 02-06-2019, 11:37 PM
if you specify a location for it, you can ask your pcb manufacurer to make them Unique.. also some manufacturers can laser a QR code onto the board for you.. as long as you indicate a space for them.
Paul van Avesaath , 02-07-2019, 01:02 AM
also downside form this ID is that you can only use visual identification for it..

we use unique ID chips (E.G. DS2401) on our boards so software can access the data.. and by the looks of it, cost is about the same..
but that has the downside of not having a visual check on the boards...

JohnsonMiller , 02-07-2019, 02:28 AM
I am not sure all PCB manufacturer can provide unique SN or bar code on each board.

Thank you for introducing DS2401. The DS2401 needs board be powered up and possibly a PC connection, but tractability PAD just visual.
BTW, I agree with you.
We may need to use both.
Paul van Avesaath , 02-07-2019, 02:33 AM
I know that not all support this feature..
the thing is that it is always smart to provide some area for it.. we specify some areas to be clear from copper to allow for either laser engraving, or stickers / serial numbers..
Paul van Avesaath , 02-07-2019, 02:34 AM
also the DS2401 can be bought preprogrammed to a certain range of numbers.. so it can be placed without issue or powerup..
robertferanec , 02-11-2019, 04:25 AM
The pad looks interesting. I also wonder how many readers can read it and if other manufacturers are manufacturing something compatible.
JohnsonMiller , 02-13-2019, 04:38 AM
I have not seen that component by myself, but I suggest camera of current mobile phones is able to read and decode it, at least I hope.
anovickis , 02-21-2019, 06:43 PM
they have a suggested reader in the datasheet
JohnsonMiller , 02-24-2019, 04:38 AM
Did they give a specific reader part/model no.? can you upload it here?
robertferanec , 02-25-2019, 11:36 AM
Did they give a specific reader part/model no.? can you upload it here?
4.2 READABILITY REQUIREMENTS A Quadrus EZ reader can be used to read this product. This reader should be used during product testing and verification to confirm that the number programmed into the laser etching machine corresponds to the number being read by the scanner. This will ensure that the laser etching is correct.

https://www.molex.com/molex/products...cts&Lang=ko-kr
JohnsonMiller , 02-27-2019, 12:39 AM
Thank you Robert,

What about small paper sticker with QR codes, is it available in the pre-print form?
robertferanec , 03-01-2019, 01:39 AM
... sticker with QR codes, is it available in the pre-print form?
We use mostly EAN, but even for QR it looks like you can use for example Microsoft Excel and print them by yourself ... here is an example (it is an addon / plugin, but maybe excel supports it also some other way?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTIdrqEMxxA
Paul van Avesaath , 03-05-2019, 06:14 AM
never thought i would learn something in excel in a HW forum!! excellent.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?