| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Problem with rectangular slot and connecting to copper pour

STlotus , 07-11-2022, 02:34 AM
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with at slot hole I have defined in padstack. I'm fairly new in pcb layout, so please bear with me, if I don't use correct terms
I have defined a rectangular slot in padstack, which I am to use as a connection point for hooks on my pcb as a test point. It goes through the entire PCB and I want to have it connected to the top. layer, which is defined as my Vin. Since I am not soldering anything to this point, I want to have full contact with the top layer. When I edit the properties and choose full contact, it looks like the hole is also covered with the top layer copper. If I don't assign any contact to the top layer, then it is not connected at all to the layer, and I have to it manually through traces. In the attached figures, you will see two rectangular slots. Both of them should be connected to the top layer, and one of them is defined as full contact. As you can see, the smaller one is not connected to the top layer, but in the 3D model it still appears as a hole. The big one is connected to the top layer, however the hole itself is covered.

How can I achieve full contact with the top layer and still have a hole through the PCB?

Thanks!

qdrives , 07-11-2022, 02:27 PM
I cannot help you with OrCad/Allegro, but in general it is not possible to make square holes.
Slots are made by milling and the mill bits are commonly 2.4mm, 2.0mm, 1mm and 0.8mm.
Comments:
STlotus, 07-12-2022, 02:05 AM
Thank you for letting me know. I have just spoken with the pcb manufacturer where we discussed this as well. My main concern is still, that it looks like the holes are covered by the copper pour in the design files, which is not the intention. So I hope someone with more OrCad experience than me, can help me with that issue.
robertferanec , 07-16-2022, 01:45 AM
Maybe allegro is just not showing the hole? This may help: https://designhelp.fedevel.com/forum...0200#post20200
Comments:
STlotus, 07-18-2022, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I found this post previously and tried it. While it worked display wise in Allegro, it did not work in the 3D viewer. It is not really important for to it work in the 3D viewer, but when I export the drill file, it does not show up as holes. So my manufacturer will not know to make a thru hole here, unless I specifically make a note about it. I thought about adding two vias close to each other to achieve and oblong drill hole within the rectangular area but it seems a bit incovenient. Is there another way to do it?
robertferanec , 07-22-2022, 08:44 AM
Then I am not sure. If possible I try to avoid using slots or irregular hole shapes as it may add extra cost on PCB manufacturing.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?