| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

RF components footprints with grounded vias

maxg31 , 11-07-2018, 09:47 AM
Hello everyone,

I made the footprints of this components :https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStor...odel=SXHP-5%2B
But as you can see in the suggested layout (https://ww2.minicircuits.com/pcb/98-pl230.pdf), there are lots of grounded vias (in purple).

I would like this vias to be integer in my footprints but I have to add lots of pins with a through hole padstack (26 pins to be precise). I don't want this 26 unused pins in my schematic in capture because I have to attached these pins to the symbol and it's a lot.

Is there a way to add lots of grounded vias in a footprints without add them in the schematic ?

Thank you
robertferanec , 11-08-2018, 02:31 AM
I do not remember exactly, but I think when you delete pin name, the padstack will become a mechanical part. This way you may be able to create VIA padstack, then add them through Layout -> Pins, select the added "VIA pins" and delete their pin names (that should make VIA pins just VIAs). Let me know if that worked.
maxg31 , 11-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Hi Roberts,

Thanks for your quick reply,

You were right, without names pins become mechanical pins but I cannot convert the mechanical pin in vias and I'm still not able to connect them to the dynamic shape ground plane to the pins

robertferanec , 11-08-2018, 07:53 AM
Maybe in footprint use static shape? But ... it looks like you already have static shape there?
maxg31 , 11-13-2018, 03:13 AM
Yes I used a static shape for the footprint ground plan. I just wonder if the dynamic shape of the board and the static shape of the footprint will merge ?

Thank you
robertferanec , 11-14-2018, 02:42 AM
Honestly, I do not know. This is a special component, but I normally do not use this technique. I would only maybe used a special PAD shape and added VIAs during layout. I do not place VIAs into footprints as I often need to move them and having them defined in footprint creates limitations during layout.
Paul van Avesaath , 11-19-2018, 12:33 AM
I usually add a hidden pin "0" underneath a defined GND connection in the schematic symbol. then use the identifier "0" for all different holes / via's / pads that way you do not have to worry about it... (works great for pressfit cages and all other stuff. see the attached picture.. you can add as many pads/via this way getting you the desired result. should be doable in cadance the same way... right?
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?