| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to compile kernel 3.0.35 with LTIB and L3.0.35_4.1.0_130816_source.tar.gz ?

paul-deltasight , 07-12-2022, 07:29 AM
Hello,

I would like to compile a Linux kernel for a iMX6 Rex Ultra mounted on its carrier board.

I read the iMX6 Rex is not ported to Yocto on the website imx6rex.com, so I'd like to compile kernel 3.0.35 with the old way using LTIB.

But it is impossible to find the file L3.0.35_4.1.0_130816_source.tar.gz. Can anyone send it to me in this version, or newer ?

Thank you,
Best regards
robertferanec , 07-16-2022, 01:59 AM
The YOCTO way still should work. This may help: https://designhelp.fedevel.com/forum...8972#post18972
paul-deltasight , 07-16-2022, 10:46 AM
Thank you for your reply Robert.
I've managed to setup a Yocto Jethro environment with Ubuntu 16 and several workarounds for Python 3.6 for repo, Python 2.7 for bitbake, and OpenSSL, including this patch for repo. Bitbake is running.

As a beginner with Yocto, I still have questions.

- Does the $MACHINE imx6qsabresd work with the iMX6 Rex or with limitations, or not at all ?
The support for iMX6 Rex on this page with meta-imx6rex only has a small patch for U-Boot which doesn't work with newer versions of Yocto. Plus, I do not see anything to build specific .dtb files for the Rex (unlike Yocto wiki from Voipac with Yocto Krogoth which I have not been able to complete).
I managed to "bitbake core-image-minimal" for imx6qsabresd on Debian 11 and Debian Kirkstone, and the kernel boots but stalls very quickly at [ 0.000000], and I don't know why.

- Is Jethro the latest version of Yocto you can advise ? Or Kirkstone should work if the process ends successfully ?

Thank you,
Best regards
robertferanec , 07-22-2022, 08:38 AM
- imx6qsabresd should boot up, but with limitations
- there may be newer versions, I don't know. I have not worked on that project for a while.
paul-deltasight , 07-22-2022, 09:02 AM
Hello Robert,

Thank you for your reply.

Finally I managed to compile Linux 4.1.36 with .dtb files following this method from Voipac Wiki, and Linux 5.18.5 without .dtb files with Yocto 4.0 Kirkstone on Debian 11 and image fsl-image-multimedia-full.

I will not push further the investigations as I understood I will never be able to compile a recent Linux kernel for the Rex with .dtb files.

Anyway thank you for your support,
Best regards
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?