| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Rule of thumb? micro+buried via or through hole

avion , 10-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Hello Robert,

Do you have a rule of thumb for which type of via to use to change layers when routing nets. I think this is totally up to the designer but I'm curious about suggestions as Im afraid of via stubs for differential signals and other high speed signals.Through holes are great to continue routing from any layer but consumes space and restricts routing. How should I decide between through hole and micro+buried vias for a easy and efficient design process?
robertferanec , 10-24-2017, 10:54 AM
VIA selection is not really "thumb rule". VIA selection depends on tracks which you are routing (e.g. I always use through hole VIAs for power), density of PCB / layout planning (in high density areas, you may want to think carefully about how to use combination of through hole VIAs and uVIAs), layers which are used for routing of specific signals (e.g. for high speed signals you would like to eliminate stubs in VIAs or keep them at minimum).

Some time ago I wrote this article, it may help you: https://resources.altium.com/pcb-des...nd-cpu-fan-out
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?