| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Designing with Demo Boards

vtrandal , 11-26-2017, 08:20 PM
With some small successes under my belt I want to tackle a much larger and more ambitious project. I am in the process of selecting demo boards from which I will construct a portable digital system like a laptop computer, tablet computer, or cell phone starting with the power subsystem:

1. Battery charger schematic (Linear Technology DC495B demo board)

Details on the DC495B here http://www.linear.com/product/LTC4006

2. 5V and 3.3V schematic (Linear Technology DC2003A demo board)

Details on the DC2003A here http://www.linear.com/product/LTC3622

robertferanec , 11-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Awesome
Comments:
vtrandal, 12-14-2017, 10:29 PM
I'm learning that it is difficult and tedious to merge two or more boards into one board. If/when the BOMs from each board are combined it results it naming conflicts if reference designators are reused. It would be nice if Altium Designer had floor planning feature that makes it easier to combine multiple boards into one board with separate name spaces to support modular system design from finished subsystems like these demo boards.
vtrandal , 11-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Instead of status LED's there is an alternative battery charger with digital telemetry (Linear Technology DC2039A demo board)

Details on the DC2039A here http://www.linear.com/product/LTC4015

Stefan G , 12-04-2017, 02:29 AM
i already did a project with the DC495B. If you need UL certification take care about the safty for the battery (temperature, fuse, material, ....)
vtrandal , 12-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Merry Christmas to everyone at Fedevel Academy. Thank you for creating this wonderful forum to exchange ideas. The power supply that I am designing is easily created from demo boards from Linear Technology (now part of Analog Devices). These boards help the designer quickly evaluate the featured component. Because these components have high level of integration they make complete subsystem. Consequently, the demo boards make excellent building blocks to create more complex systems. Here I am making a rechargeable power supply from battery charger and voltage regulator demo boards. And just like Robert says regarding demo boards, "You know it is going to work." So I know the system will work too.
robertferanec , 12-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Merry Christmas @vtrandal and thank you very much I wish you all the best in the new year

PS: Nice setup!
Comments:
vtrandal, 02-07-2018, 05:10 AM
Thank you! What can I do if reference design is missing .ASC file? We are using 3 demo boards from Analog Devices (Linear Technology): DC495B, DC2039A, DC2003A. The manufacturer provides very nice design files online including .ASC file from which the layout can be imported. Except the .ASC file is missing for DC2039A and the manufacturer cannot provide it. Every demo board layout has very valuable information. So I am creating a replica layout of the DC2039A, because it is a working board. I want to study and copy the physical layout as much as possible. How can I use gerber files and any other information contained in manufacturer design files to recreate the demo board layout quickly and accurately? If .ASC file is missing is it true that I have no choice but to look at each gerber layout and find where each component was placed on the demo board? Can I import the DC2039A gerber files into Altium as some kind of template to guide my DC2039A layout effort? As I continue my career change into PCB as a profession I will actually fabricate and assemble these first 3 demo boards as a process verification.
robertferanec , 02-07-2018, 07:52 AM
@vtrandal I checked their web and design files. I am not sure, but maybe the PCB was designed in mentor graphic? You may be able to import it into Altium or you may be able to get a free PCB viewer from Mentor Graphic website. However it is just my guess that this is mentor graphic file, I am not 100% sure.
Comments:
vtrandal, 02-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Thank you. But I don't understand. Which file is mentor graphic file? .ASC file is mentor graphic file?
robertferanec , 02-07-2018, 03:41 PM
The .PCB file? But it is only my guess.
Comments:
vtrandal, 02-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Your guess is very good. You are correct. Here is Mentor Graphics PADS PCB viewer https://www.pads.com/downloads/pads-pcb-viewer/ I won't say it's free because it's not mine to give away. I downloaded it after a few short questions.Dear Mr. Feranec, You are worth your weight in gold and much more. Thank you for creating Fedevel Academy and taking the time to teach your valuable skills to others. You have changed my life through your courses and your support in this forum. Thank you.
robertferanec , 02-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Thank you for nice words
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?