| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Mechanical layer in Altium designer

Baby_1 , 06-07-2019, 05:21 AM
Hi,
I need t know the rule of mechanical layer for creating each component's PCB layout. As far as I know, this layer is just for shaping the board and resize it. But I can't understand its rule for creating other components. In addition, what is difference between desginator in mechanical layer and a component's designator?
Any help appreciate.
mnpebm , 06-07-2019, 10:56 AM
I am using Altium 15.1

Not sure if this is what you are asking about, but here goes:

I use Mechanical 1 (top side components) and Mechanical 2 (bottom side components) for assembly information, meaning on those layers I place a component outline that matches (in most cases) the outline as seen on the silkscreen and is slightly larger than the component. I then place the .Designator parameter directly over the component. The ".Designator" parameter will show the actual reference designator if the command "Convert Special Strings" is turned on in layout. I can then create assembly drawings using those Mechanical layers. Other assembly information can be placed on these layers as well.

The component's designator is just that, the component reference as seen on the actual PCB. This is done automatically.

I use Mechanical 10 for the board outline.

You could do a search on some of the terms I used to learn more.
robertferanec , 06-09-2019, 12:44 PM
@Baby_1 have a look at Starting with Altium Designer videos which I created. That can help you to understand how the layers are used and how components are created: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...puSXz6sROQmO6R

Baby_1 , 06-12-2019, 03:07 AM
I really appreciate your explanation.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?