| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

PCB heat up

Mahsheed , 06-26-2019, 05:31 AM
If I am using 7805 regulator and it gets heated up. So would it heat up the pcb if I use SMD 7805 and not through hole?
Lakshmi , 06-26-2019, 06:55 AM
You said "7805 Regulator gets heated up": Did you check for any short?(GND pin with supply pin ). OR Load is trying to draw more current from this.
How much does the load consumes?
Currently you're using through hole?

Mahsheed , 06-26-2019, 11:12 PM
Yes load is drawing more current. But I can not avoid it. Also, 7805 regulator does get burned. So my point of interest is to save my pcb from heat. If I use through hole, its heat sink gets heated up. Now I want to know if I use SMD, will it heat up the whole pcb or not?
Lakshmi , 06-27-2019, 12:52 AM
Yes you cannot control the load current instead why don't you change the regulator to suit your Load current.
You didn't answer to this."How much current does load draw? Did you check for the short? "
As I can see from the Data sheet of 7806 can only provide up-to 1.3-1.5A If your load draws more current than this you should change the Regulator and design.
The problem here is not about through hole/SMD but I think it's the regulator which is not able to give the current which the load requires.
until unless you specify source and Load specs It's hard to tell what's happening.
Mahsheed , 06-27-2019, 12:57 AM
Theoratically, It requires a peak of 2A (only peak current, not continuous and I have never seen this huge current on Ammeter). For continuous operation, it requires 1A current. Yes I am currently using Through hole. The load current is being fulfilled, other wise it does not catch the signals. Only heat sink of regulator heats up. IC provides the required current, it does get burned if I run it for Hours.
Comments:
Lakshmi, 06-27-2019, 01:43 AM
Even when it says peak current is 2A you must have chosen a regulator with Output current of at least of 2.7-3A.You never know when what current load requires.Yes if course in your current case IC will burn out.You need to change the regulator quickly. Do not use that regulator.
Mahsheed , 06-27-2019, 12:59 AM
And there is no short circuit. It is the Load that requires this current. Can you suggest me any other IC? I do not want to go for DC-DC converter side, as it consumes a lot of space.
Comments:
Lakshmi, 06-27-2019, 01:52 AM
As I don't know the Input and Output Voltage It's hard to tell what you require.These things need to be taken care by yourself as you've designed the circuit. Look for the Output current rating slightly more the actual Output current( I meant more than 2A).If you'd ask me i would go with Switching regulator.It's not about the Size it's about the efficiency and throughput.If there's not much of difference between the Vout and Vin then you can use the LDO. Usually LDO's are preferred when output voltage is very close to the input Voltage(say for eg., If i/p is 5V and Output is 3.3/3.8V then you can go with LDO).Since In your case current is bit high I'd recommend you with Switching regulator.
Mahsheed , 06-27-2019, 03:16 AM
Input is 12V car battery, Output is 5 or 6V.
Lakshmi , 06-27-2019, 03:39 AM
Mahsheed , 06-27-2019, 03:44 AM
But my question remains there. Would there be any difference in using SMD instead of Through hole? I mean would it heat up my pcb or not?
Lakshmi , 06-27-2019, 04:48 AM
Well that depends on several factor. you could google.
Wait for some other people to give their verdicts like @robertferanec
If you're using SMD chose one with the Thermal Pad that way you reduce the heat and dissipates.
If you chose to go with Through-hole you may have to add external heat sink.
Mahsheed , 06-27-2019, 05:31 AM
Ok, Waiting for his reply
Paul van Avesaath , 06-27-2019, 06:16 AM
your generating heat because of the drop in voltage.. the 7805 is dissipating that 6Volts stepping down from 12V.
regarding your question you can go to SMD, but you have the ensure there is a large GND plane connected with a lot of via's (preferrably multiple planes on different layers)
this way the heat can dissipate in the plane and thus it will heat up your PCB. either way some airflow would be recommended.

a switching regualtor would be better in this case..
Mahsheed , 06-27-2019, 06:34 AM
this way the heat can dissipate in the plane and thus it will heat up your PCB.

But I want my pcb not to be heated up
Paul van Avesaath , 06-27-2019, 06:38 AM
then change over to another type of powe supply.. there are plenty of switchmode power supplies that will do what you want. these will not heat up your pcb
Mahsheed , 06-27-2019, 06:48 AM
Can you please explain? I mean I could not understand switchmode power supplies.
robertferanec , 06-27-2019, 06:49 AM
1A continuous current * 7V difference between Input and output = 7W power (7W of heat on the regulator)

You will need a good heatsink on the regulator to take away 7W (I dont think you can take this away just with PCB). As @Paul van Avesaath and @Lakshmi suggested, I would go for a switching power supply. Linear regulators are not good when used in applications where input - output voltage and output currents are high.

PS: Especially, when you are creating battery powered application, the 7W is wasted power - you will be discharging battery without actually using half of the energy.
Mahsheed , 06-27-2019, 06:52 AM
Are you suggesting Buck converter?
Mahsheed , 06-27-2019, 06:55 AM
I dont think you can take this away just with PCB

Does that mean the Heat sink pad on PCB wont do in case of SMD and only through hole with good heat sink would do the work. Right?
Paul van Avesaath , 06-27-2019, 07:01 AM
have a look at somtething like this
TI’s LMZ23603 is a 3A SIMPLE SWITCHER® Power Module with 36V Maximum Input Voltage. Find parameters, ordering and quality information

just as easy as an LDO

also take into account your car battery is 12V but when the car is running it is being charged at +/- 14.4 V.. so your input voltage is higher..

robertferanec , 06-27-2019, 07:06 AM
Does that mean the Heat sink pad on PCB wont do in case of SMD and only through hole with good heat sink would do the work. Right?
- yes, but this it not the point. The important point is, that all the heat is wasted energy which you can safe by using a switching power supply regulator.
Mahsheed , 06-27-2019, 10:52 PM
Okay. Thank you very much. Let me have a look at that. If I find any issue, I will ask here again :P
Mahsheed , 07-01-2019, 12:16 AM
Hi robertferanec,
I have studied the LMZ23603TZX and that is exactly what I need for my design. But I have a problem. It costs 8.8 USD/PSC. So, can you please suggest me some other substitute (similar to LMZ23603TZX) whose cost is low?
robertferanec , 07-01-2019, 05:00 AM
Normally I would just go for example to TI website and search for the chip I need. For example like this: http://www.ti.com/power-management/n.../products.html
Comments:
Mahsheed, 07-09-2019, 11:35 PM
Thank you very much sir. I found LM2596S and that is working perfectly fine for this.
Paul van Avesaath , 07-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Mahsheed
Hi robertferanec,
I have studied the LMZ23603TZX and that is exactly what I need for my design. But I have a problem. It costs 8.8 USD/PSC. So, can you please suggest me some other substitute (similar to LMZ23603TZX) whose cost is low?
you could try and ask for samples
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?