| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Best practices for direct hardware programming ?

Quranei , 12-05-2019, 03:37 AM
Hi,

when I programmed the Amiga the first time around, I always had been using it with the operating system turned on. I was now interested into poking into the hardware registers directly. Since I often read about that you have to deactivate the operating system, I was wondering what would be the best approach to do that so I can still do something like starting the program from DOS, work directly on the hardware and after exiting, I can continue using the system again. Do I really have to deactivate everything (e.g. Exec and DOS) or only parts ?

And I'm looking for a monitor stand can support a 34" curved monitor at the bottom and have a second 24" at the top, over it. If it has a discrete base or a desk clamp, doesn't really matter. But base is preferable. A base in the lines of Ergotech WSGF Edition Monitor Stand.

Thanks
robertferanec , 12-06-2019, 12:12 AM
I am not exactly sure what you mean, but hope this helps:

- I think, in DOS you had some access to some registers ... at least I remember accessing registers when using for example serial port. But it was long time ago.

- In higher operating systems (e.g. Windows, Linux) you can not access hardware directly, however you have some access through drivers (if you know how to write drivers).

- If you would like to play with registers directly, I would recommend a microcontroller e.g. Arduino

- or have a look at FPGA stuff - there you can play with even lower levels (you can create registers)
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?