| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Board-to-board connection options and trade-offs

shihanlin9 , 08-16-2020, 02:00 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to prototype a SOM of my own and I'm planning to separate the components on core board (processor, memory) and base board (peripherals). Since there'll be high-speed signals on the base board (e.g. ethernet interface), I'm having trouble making decision on the connections between the board. Did some search, there're some of the options:
1. Gold finger
2. Stamp hole
3. Pin header

I don't think the list is comprehensive. For my application, I don't have PCIE support on the processor, so (1) is not a must. I saw some modules (e.g. ESP8266 wifi module) is using stamp hole, not sure if that means it's also suitable for high-speed signal. Pin-header is probably not a valid option. I'm trying to make the core board as compact as possible, also for now my pcb prototype option is oshpark and they only support up to 4 layer board with ENIG. Any comments/feedback is welcomed, definitely let me know if there's some other option/solution!
robertferanec , 08-17-2020, 07:57 AM
The main question is, if you would like to have your module compatible with an existing product or if your company is strong enough to set your own standard. Also, question is, what the applications are you targeting (industrial?), size (e.g. you are trying to design something extremely small). It is more like marketing decision, rather than an electrical.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?