| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Importance of Grid on the Layout?

pal , 03-11-2021, 05:36 PM
Hi,
Just wanted to learn from your experience what grid size should be used for footprint design, Layout, Placement, Routing ?
are they should be used different sizes for each of three operations ? or use same for these type of work?

it would be interesting and helpful if you can share how it helped your efficiency with the use of grid setting !
robertferanec , 03-12-2021, 06:36 AM
This is how I normally do it:
- footprint design: as required (depends on datasheet, units, sizes)
- placement: placement of big components e.g. 1mm, placement of small components 0.1mm
- layout and routing: I try to have vias on 0.1mm but for drawing tracks I can use also a smaller grid

In my opinion I try to use grid where it may help machines the improve accuracy e.g. placement machines, drilling machines etc. If there is no machine required (e.g. etching lines), I believe grid is not really important. But that is just my opinion.
pal , 03-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Robert !
my experience
I work in inches/mils so I use 5 mils and 10 mils for routing and placement and 1 mils for footprint. But while routing traces I noticed that trace is not always align with from IC pin to say capacitor pin there is times jog in a trace, so I end up using 1 mils for placement as well but it takes more time in alignment to fix jog issue, did you experience similar ?

also how about schematic is it same 40/4 mils settings ?
goncaloc , 03-17-2021, 04:39 AM
For schematic I always use 100 mils grid and 50/10 mils for symbols.
For PCB I usually use a setup pretty much like @robertferanec , the only thing is , if routing a mils component with lots of pins I change the grid on the components area to mils.
pal , 03-17-2021, 01:17 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience !
qdrives , 03-18-2021, 10:20 AM
For another viewpoint (high current, thicker copper, microcontroller, etc).
- Components: preferred 1mm, option 0.5mm
- Traces: preferred 0.25mm, option 0.1mm
- Via's: centered on the trace, for stitching: 0.5mm
- Text (designators): 0.1mm
- Schematic: 100mil, unless small needed (ie zener diode)
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?