| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Connecting Power net from bottom to top layer through via

SpikeHawk , 04-03-2021, 02:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I would like to connect a power signal (+5V) from bottom layer to top layer through via. In my first implementation (picture1) I am using a single via on the power track although I was thinking that I could place a polygon poor and use multiple vias in order to connect the power signal from the bottom into the top layer, in that way I could create a lower impedance path for the power signal so I could ensure a greater amperage capacity for the track. I don't think that this is necessary for the specific application since there is no need for high amperage capacity (<1.5A) but I would like to ask if that's a good practice in that type of connections?

Best regards,
Andrew.
robertferanec , 04-06-2021, 08:53 AM
I am not sure what exactly is then connected from the bottom track (e.g. if only 1 component or half of the board .... or if it is a standard board or a high speed design, etc). But, for a simple connection on a simple board, one VIA can be just fine. For more components, I would use polygons with multiple VIAs.
qdrives , 04-14-2021, 08:20 AM
On the prototypes build of my very first design there were "voids in the via's". Ever since I am very aware of via problems.
For power lines I generally use two via's to connect traces IF it continues on a different layer to multiple connections.
I also use(d) a simple rule of maximum 1A per via, so with 1.5A that already requires 2 via's. The best way to know how much current can go through a via is with the PCB toolkit (https://saturnpcb.com/saturn-pcb-toolkit/) Now I am working on a design where the via's are smaller and even micro via's and there I limit it to 0.5A per via.
However, I do not use a polygon pour as a distribution point, but like the picture below.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?