| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

PCB Box

abdelkarim , 10-08-2021, 03:57 AM
Hello,
I need to design box for my board ( made with Kicad) . i'm confused between using fusion360 or Designspark mechanical . Because it's my first time to designe a box.
Also, i watched this 2 vedeos of @robertferanec in youtube
If you would like to see how your PCB board would look in an enclosure or in a box, it’s very easy to do. This is a simple DesignSpark tutorial about creatin...

I used Fusion 360 CAD software and Creality ENDER 3 V2 3D printer to design a box for Arduino Uno board. It's super simple ...-------------------------------...

​​​​​​​they was very useful .
robertferanec , 10-11-2021, 03:50 AM
I used to work in Designspark, now I moved to Fusion360. I am not sure how much Designspark has changed since the last time I used it, but Fusion360 is a very professional software and I told myself, that if I would like to learn to use something properly, let's make it a software where I can design anything - that is my main reason for Fusion360. Also, Fusion supports the step file export, I am not sure if Designspark is supporting it now (it didn't when I was using it).

However, I use Fusion only for personal use ... if you would be using it for professional projects, you would need to pay for it. For personal use they have a free license.
qdrives , 10-12-2021, 06:04 PM
Design spark mechanical does have STEP export, BUT it is a paid extra €610 add-on (https://www.rs-online.com/designspar...add-on-modules)
Alternatively you could look at FreeCad. It is free, also for commercial use and has STEP export.
I made a (simplified) 3D model of a common mode choke with it:

Looking at the ease at which Robert made his housing using a STEP file from the board... Well, it would take (me) more time to do so in FreeCad.
Simple fact, I do not like the licensing option of Fusion 360 (you kind of rent it).
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?