| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

GND polygons

zeino , 02-15-2016, 02:39 AM
Is it wrong to join the grounds in a polygon like the picture below. Same goes on the ground pins on the ISL 6236 which are adjacent. I can think of it having extra capacitance between the ground layers linked by a via which is inductor and forming a resonant circuit in high speed but other than that in low speed I don't see any problem. May be it is also bad for solder paste and reflow. What is your opinion about it?

Added after the Question: I see at minute 20:18 of the video for the chip GND pin the data sheet says connect to the GND of the chip and done individually each pin to the pad. Now if we make a polygon and connect both to the pad would we be breaking a rule? It would be a less resistive GND connection. Just curious why we don't do that other than reflow reason or being ugly.
zeino , 02-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Minute 48 on the lesson on improving GND explains it. I have no question except if it is a good thing to polygon chip pins if they are same or would it be a bad practice.
Comments:
robertferanec, 02-16-2016, 04:57 AM
Do you have a picture?
robertferanec , 02-16-2016, 04:58 AM
Oki, perfect, that the video explained it If you have any other questions, let me know.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?