| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

RLC component creation in Altium library

gyuunyuu1989 , 05-20-2023, 05:41 PM
This question is specifically abou Altium but applies to other software as well.

When it comes to components like resistors, capacitors, inductors, potentiometers e.t.c there are literally millions of components that have different values, power rating, tolerance e.t.c. Does a person create a separate symbol for each and every possible combination of part in the library?

When desingning schematic we only care about the resistor value, this value could possibly change by the time we are going to send the board for manufacture. This means that if we choose a specific part and then create schematic symbol for it, it might need to be redone before we send the board for manufacture. What the person needs is 1/4W 0602 SMD 1% tolerance resistor. The material and other factors do not matter.

Questions:
1. How will a specific part from a seller be chosen before we send the order for manufacture? Must we always use generic part in schematic or create specific parts for ever resistor, capacitor, inductor, potentiometer, in the schematic or only specific part that is linked with a manufacturer part number?
2. Should we put the RLC component's value (like resistance) into the "comment" property field or create a new parameter called "value" and make that visible in the schematic symbol and use that instead of the "comment" field? I have seen both of these approaches so far.
qdrives , 05-21-2023, 06:19 PM
It is all your (or your company's) personal preference.
I always have each component to the full spec. See my comment here: https://designhelp.fedevel.com/forum...9667#post19667

Either you have more work in the beginning (creating the component) or more at the end (creating the BoM).
A component in the library needs to be created only once. A BoM for each product and often multiple times per product as well.

As for the comment / value. I have a parameter called value that is often visible in the schematic.
robertferanec , 05-22-2023, 01:16 AM
as @qdrives pointed out, this was answered on this forum couple of times. My best answer is in the same post as he linked.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?