| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Layers in Altium PCB footprints

gyuunyuu1989 , 05-23-2023, 08:08 PM
I am trying to get my head around what custom layers need to be added into PCB footprint and understand the meaning of existing layers. I saw a video from Robert that described new layer creation this but don't remember which video it was. So basically when we create a PCB footprint, we get certain layers present inside it by default. These are top layer (copper), bottom layer (copper), overlay (silk screen), solder paste, solder mask, drill drawing, drill guide, keep out layer and multi-layer.

From this I get these questions:
1. What is difference between drill drawing and drill guide? I would except this to be used in some way for vias and through hole pads but don't know how. I would expect there to be just one layer called "drill" which contains information about holes and slots.
2. What is purpose of keep out layer? I mean we already have so many other layers like top and bottom copper, solder mask e.t.c, so why do we even need a "keep out layer"?
3. Why do we need something called "multi-layer"? I mean we already have so many layers so things go on separate layers already, so having "multi-layer" layer does not make sense.

Now, lets talk about the custom layers. From what I remember from Robert's, we need to have Mechanical layers which contain this information:
1. 3D Body, this layer had purple color
2. Assembly drawing symbol with designator in middle, this layer had purple color
3. Component boundary, this layer had green color

I have a few questions about this so the first question is, why do we need the green layer when we already have a "keep out" layer that is created by default? I am confused between the concept of "Courtyard" layer and "Assembly" layer. Altium does not name anything as "Courtyard" layer or "Assembly" layer by itself.
qdrives , 05-24-2023, 02:39 PM
1) I am unable to tell you the difference between the drill drawing and drill guide. All I know is that they are no longer used by fabricators so I would suggest to ignore them and hide them.

2) The keep out layer is used for various things to keep out of an area. There may be areas on your board where you cannot have components (SMD and TH pad) or other conductive elements. The keep-out layer applies to all layers. You can also place keep-outs on the individual copper layers which only applies to that layer.
In the past I used the keep-out layer to also prevent copper (polygons) to come to the board edge. Today we have the board clearance rule for that.

3) Via's and Through Hole pad are on multiple layers. That is why they are on the "multi-layer" layer.

4) These are the layers I have in footprints (library). Naturally, the colors are for your personal preference. 3D body, Component Center, Courtyard and Designator are "Altium standard" layer types. Polarity isn't.

5) I do not have an assembly drawing. Everything has a 3D body and that works better in my opinion.

6) I assume you mean courtyard when you mention "component boundary"?

This all results in the assembly documentation as attached here in the PDF.
gyuunyuu1989 , 05-24-2023, 03:04 PM
Thanks, a response from the professional is always quite helpful.

You have declared several layers as layer pairs. These are 3D Body, Courtyard and Designator. Can't we just declare this as mechanical layers (not pairs) and then Altium is smart enough to work out the rest depending on whether we place a component on the top side of the board or bottom? I mean when we create PCB footprint, we place a 3D body, and a courtyard and a designator. Now do we really need to create a layer pair? If so, doesn't this mean that what shall have to manually place something on both layers i.e 3D body on both layer pairs, courtyard on both layer pairs e.t.c?

Also, what is the purpose of the single mechanical layer called Board? There is no board there since this is related to the foot print and not the PCB right?
qdrives , 05-25-2023, 03:24 PM
A "layer pair" is to tell Altium that it should 'flip' the contents when the component flipped layers.
Often, all things in the footprint will flip. I do not recall ever done something on 'single' layers in the footprint library.
Not having defined layers pairs in Altium can be a nightmare when you design boards with components on both sides and discover that you forgot to set up the layer pairs after many components have already been placed on the bottom. Better to set things correct in library.

Normal layers, as shown in the screenshot as "Board" do not flip. That layer is for the board outline. And you are correct, there is not board outline in a footprint library. I do not recall how it got there, nor why there is a internal plane 6. I should my script to see which component has something on these layers and clean things up.
robertferanec , 05-27-2023, 01:18 AM
1) when you start using uVIAs, blind VIAs, buried VIAs, through hole VIAs, drilling becomes complicated. For simple PCBs, drilling may only need one file, but for complex PCBs there are number of files - for example where position of holes is on each layer and drill guide is usually just a PDF showing you where holes are placed on each layer, to visually check if the holes are correct.

2) a simple example of using a keepout layer can be marking the space under a connector which has some metal elements touching PCB - you may want to specify a keep our area, so a person who will be doing layout will not place tracks or vias there (the metal on component could possibly cause short circuit with tracks / vias on PCB)

Courtyard / Assembly layers: for some components, the space where they are touching PCB is not the same as they need to have around them, especially components with stand off or overhanging parts. So you need two layers - one which will show where to mount the component and another one which will show you the safe distance where you can place other components.
gyuunyuu1989 , 06-05-2023, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by qdrives
A "layer pair" is to tell Altium that it should 'flip' the contents when the component flipped layers.
Often, all things in the footprint will flip. I do not recall ever done something on 'single' layers in the footprint library.
Not having defined layers pairs in Altium can be a nightmare when you design boards with components on both sides and discover that you forgot to set up the layer pairs after many components have already been placed on the bottom. Better to set things correct in library.

Normal layers, as shown in the screenshot as "Board" do not flip. That layer is for the board outline. And you are correct, there is not board outline in a footprint library. I do not recall how it got there, nor why there is a internal plane 6. I should my script to see which component has something on these layers and clean things up.
Isn't Altium smart enough to know that when a PCB footprint is flipped, everything goes upside down? Therefore, we don't use layer pairs for 3D body, Component Center, Courtyard, Designator, Overlay, Paste, Polarity, Solder. Rather, Altium is smart enough to know how things must be flipped depending on whether we are using SMD pads or through holes in the footprint.
gyuunyuu1989 , 06-05-2023, 06:43 PM
I have used the Altium "IPC Compliant Footprint Wizard" and also the "Footprint Wizard". Neither of them create a footprint that has layer pairs for things like courtyard, 3D body, assembly e.t.c. I am confused now.
qdrives , 06-06-2023, 02:11 PM
"Isn't Altium smart enough..." -- No. Of the known layers (top, bottom, overlay, paste and solder) it is always a layer pair. However, all other layers are not automatically. At least nowadays there are layer types (courtyard, 3D, assembly, etc.) so that components merged from different sources can have the primitives on the correct layers as Altium does use the layer types first.
I rarely use the footprint wizard, but in the footprint just created it placed the 3D body and courtyard on the correct layers, but they are still the original layers (AD10) for those objects (13 and 15 respectively).
Layers and layer pair setup is in the library, not in the footprint. You only need to configure it once per library.

It is all up to you how you want it. You can use footprints and layout a board without any of these special layers. However, my advise would be to do the setup, at least for the layers that you use.
gyuunyuu1989 , 06-06-2023, 06:40 PM
Since I am learning this whole discipline for the first time, it is important that I acquire the correct techniques at this stage.

When we create layer pair, do we need to manually copy paste the same thing on both layers, how does it work?
qdrives , 06-07-2023, 02:41 PM
In that regards Altium is smart enough.
You design the footprint as it should be in the top. Then when it is on the board, and you swap it to the bottom, all data on the 'top layers' are now placed on the bottom ones.
Whatever is not on a layer pair, will remain on that layer.
gyuunyuu1989 , 06-07-2023, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by qdrives
Whatever is not on a layer pair, will remain on that layer.
I see, this has answered the question. So when we have a lair pair, we do not need to put something explicitly on each of the layers in the pair.

Another thing I have seen is that a tutorial showed a layer dedicated for component center. That was quite strange. Why would someone create a layer dedicated to store component center? All it contains was a + shape created by using lines.
qdrives , 06-08-2023, 02:15 PM
I did that (component center).

It actually is to mark the reference point of the component. You see, the assembly company does not have your footprint design, it has the entire board.
The pick-and-place file may contain the reference point, the part center (of the pads) or the position of pin 1.

Lets go over the problems with these in reverse order:
3) What is pin 1? Sure most manufacturers have defined it in their datasheet, but not all. Take diodes with A and C or resistors with.... left and right???
Even more problematic is when you use a standard footprint i.e. TO92. Another manufacturer may define other pins as pin 1.
2) For (SMT) assembly the component need to be picked up in the center of gravity. For most components this would be in the center compared to the pin, but that is no guarantee.
1) The reference point is what you define.

When you supply it in the gerber / drawing, the assembly company can see where that reference point is compared to the pads and has the corresponding position in the pick and place file.
By putting it in a dedicated layer, you can switch it on and off and also control the drawing order/color.
Most standard generator have this mark in the courtyard layer, but than you cannot hide it if you do want the courtyard itself.

You can see the (yellow) part center cross on page 3 of the assembly documentation attached in some comments earlier in this thread.
gyuunyuu1989 , 06-09-2023, 10:00 AM
ok, but one thing remains un-clear; just one.

When we have a lair pair (courtyard, assembly e.t.c), do we need to create something on both layers (it will be identical) or just one layer and leave the other empty?
qdrives , 06-09-2023, 05:01 PM
In >99% of the cases you only design on the top. And therefor leave all 'bottom' layers empty.

Only in rare situations do you need the other layers.
One of my recent cases is exactly on the board that is documented in one of my earlier comments in this thread.
The SMA connector has (SMD) pads on top and bottom.
Another situation I can think where courtyard on the bottom could (perhaps even should) be used is for the "clip" of a tag-connect. Picture here https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....kL._SX466_.jpg but it may be a bit difficult to see.
gyuunyuu1989 , 06-10-2023, 05:11 AM
ok, when when we flip a component, everything on top goes to bottom and everything on bottom goes to top. Therefore, we put assembly, courtyad, and 3D body on the top layers (of the pair) and not both. Now it is all clear.
Comments:
qdrives, 06-10-2023, 06:33 AM
100% correct.
gyuunyuu1989 , 07-06-2023, 10:47 AM
Just today Altium Academy (a channel on youtube) has released video " What's with All the Layers in Your PCB Footprint?​"

I wish they were more clear on certain things but this video is still useful.
qdrives , 07-06-2023, 02:18 PM
About the Altium academy video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PtLWj4eewA)
Again skipping over some details, while pushing for old ideas.
And not unimportantly, some errors too.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?