| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to work with libraries when coping a schematic?

eduar , 04-06-2016, 09:58 AM
I have a doubt. If I am coping part of the reference design I have in my schematic sheets (I organized the project as explained in the course) that data in already, the library will have that data? Do I have to create a new library for those copied components? I don't see any library, so I believe I have to create a new one, but how to keep the data from the other schematic without creating them manually?

Or if this is confused, what is your advice in the case of coping components?

I am doing this because I have the reference design in Orcad format (DSN). So I had to import it first, and then I will copy some parts of the schematic.
robertferanec , 04-06-2016, 10:10 AM
If you copy parts between schematics it doesn't add them to library automatically. What you may for example do is:

1) generate library from reference schematic,
2) COPY & PASTE the components you are planning to use into your library and adjust them (e.g. add parameters),
3) copy the part of reference schematic (which you would like to re-use) into your schematic,
4) and replace the components in the copied circuit with the components from your library

In case, you are going to use majority of the reference schematic, you may want to generate library from it and use it as your project library (just adjust the components to your needs e.g. add parameters) and refresh the schematic (Update symbols from library).

If you would like to generate library from a project, this may help you: Altium – How to Create Library from Existing Project
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?