| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

When to use ports and when to use OffSheet connectors?

jwags818 , 05-18-2016, 09:26 AM
I am relatively new to PCB design and while I have read electrical schematics for years I have not had to create them in anything but Visio.
I am working on a board that has a connector on it that an FPGA will interface with from another board.
I assigned OUTPUT ports to the connector pins with the signals coming into the board and named them appropriately.
Then on the DAC chip I used the exact same port set to INPUT.
I get Floating Input Pins Error when compiling.
Should I be using an offsheet connector and what is the real difference between them?
robertferanec , 05-18-2016, 11:53 PM
Hi @jwags818 maybe this is what you are looking for? http://www.fedevel.com/designhelp/fo...2649-mcu-rx-tx

BTW: I do not use offsheet connectors as you can not place page numbers automatically close to them (the page numbers, which tell you, on what pages the signal continues). You know, you can not use Schematic: Reports -> Port Cross Reference -> Add to Project
jwags818 , 05-19-2016, 07:21 AM
I wound up deleting all the ports on the front page on the sheet symbols and everything connected fine. I noticed you do not use ports on the front sheet on the few examples I have seen in your videos. When would you use them?
robertferanec , 05-19-2016, 07:37 AM
I don't use ports if it's a one page schematic. Otherwise we use ports to connect signals between schematic pages.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?