| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Zero ohm resistor?

ljo , 06-03-2016, 08:24 AM
Hello,

I was looking at the beaglebone black schematic and I saw a lot of zero ohm resistors. What is the purpose of these resistors?

mairomaster , 06-03-2016, 08:52 AM
In general they give you lots of flexibility with the board. If you don't have the resistor, you will have the two nods connected simply by a track lets say. When you use a zero ohm resistor, the circuit works the same way, however you can do stuff like:

- Disconnect a particular block of the circuit simply by unsoldering the resistor. Otherwise you would need to cut the track, which is not very elegant and easy to fix - apart from that could be impossible if the track is on an internal layer of the board.
- Removing the resistor and connecting an amp meter in series, to measure the current flowing through that net (I believe that is potentially the idea of R6 above).
- Being able to split a net going to two different places, using a cross road with two zero ohm resistors. That way you can connect either of them, both of them or none.
- Being able to change the value of the resistor to something different than 0 ohm in case you decide you need to.

The 0 ohm resistors are mostly used with inital/debug versions of the boards since many things are unknown and need to be tested. Once a board is fully tested and ready for mass production, the number of 0 ohm resistors can be reduced.
ljo , 06-03-2016, 09:05 AM
thank you mairomaster for the answer.
Ok I understand. So In my case, it is not necessary for the board to work. I am doing my first PCB with the AM3358 TI SOC. I just want to make it work based on the beaglebone black PCB and the am3358 Starter kit PCB.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?