| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Is BGA Fanout Option useful ? And what about it's capabilities?

Poo , 09-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Hello, I have a doubt related to BGA fanout option.
1) Will it efficiently get the connection out of BGA pad.
2) What about its capabilities? Will it work for more complex connections too ?
3) What do you prefer, shall we use this feature or go with manual fanout (If this, then any trick or method to save time) ?
4) Any suggestion regarding BGA fanout.

robertferanec , 09-17-2015, 03:31 AM
- If you are not sure how to do fanout, have a look at the reference board of your chip manufacturer and see how they did that. Sometimes it is very hard to fanout a BGA, especially if you only can use through hole VIAs.

- I normally start fanout from power supplies and important interfaces (such memories),

- go from the middle to the edges.

- I do not use automatic fanout, I always do it manually.

- I always fanout all the pins from the BGA first and then continue in connecting them

- I think, this video may help you: Advanced PCB Layout (Video) – Lesson 8 of Schematic & PCB Design Course

- Some time ago I wrote How to Route DDR3 Memory and CPU fan-out for Altium, maybe that could help you too.

- And maybe watch also this video: Watch routing PCB Layout with DDR3 & High Speed Interfaces

I hope it helps. @Poo, please let me know which of the videos was the most interesting one.
Comments:
robertferanec, 09-22-2015, 03:42 AM
The reason why I don't use automatic fanout and autorouter is, that they don't work well for the designs I do - complex and small in size.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?