| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Chip License

daiyoko , 07-03-2016, 06:12 AM
Hi

I'm a software programmer and don't electronic background, i'm just subscribe 3 courses on fedevel site, and want to learn to build a simple board with TI AM3358 + a GSM chip.

I have sent several email to different chip company e.g. TI and MediaTek and ask about if i need to pay additional license fee if e.g. i use AM3358 in my product. Unluckily, those support seems don't have direct reply.

So i would like to know if any can share some experience on this chip license info??

Ken
robertferanec , 07-03-2016, 05:52 PM
With standard chips (e.g. the chips you buy from digikey), you don't need to ask about licensing.

In my 15+ years in HW design I have only seen one chip what required to buy a special license and if I remember right it was something with DRM or encoding or decoding or encrypting ... or something like that (and it was specifically written in the datasheet, that it requires to buy the license). However, we have never used that chip in design so I do not know how this is then solved.
daiyoko , 07-04-2016, 06:09 AM
Thank you for the reply, actually, i've found few chip company seem not providing any related development document e.g. Qualcomm, MediaTek, Allwinner. e.g. Qualcomm APQ8016 Snapdragon 410, there is only a 410C development board...
robertferanec , 07-04-2016, 11:20 AM
O yeah, for some chips you will need to sign NDA to get more information.

So, you need to find your local distributor or local contact of the chip manufacturer, you need to speak to them and if they think your company is capable to design boards based on their chips and your project is real, you sign NDA and they will give you access to documentation and reference boards.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?