| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Remove component without removing footprint

leighpots , 02-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Need an easy way to remove the component without removing device footprint. Tried a variant - of not fitted but the component is still there in 3D model.
Guess I could place footprint instead of component but that's a big hassle as some are IntLib ...anything else ?
Many thanks , Leighpots
mairomaster , 02-13-2017, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't advice that. For a proper design in Altium you always want to keep a good synchronisation between schematics and PCB. Why do you need to delete a component a still keep the footprint? Maybe there is a different solution about that.
robertferanec , 02-13-2017, 08:39 AM
@leighpots, you need to select variant in the PCB, then it works.

leighpots , 02-13-2017, 12:30 PM
Thanks Robert and Mariomaster,

We wish to export 3d model without the components to another package ...

From the schematic I can make variant not fitted and update PCB however it still shows up
I can find it under project variants in the pcb fie and make sure that Variant 001 is selected not fitted and the component is unlocked. .
But the component body is still there in 3D

I check Variant options - hide not fitted components still cannot get rid of it. I think this only applies to fab drawing but what the heck.
Perhaps related - the devices do not grey out or indicate not fitted in the schematic - perhaps some other setting enabling variants ?
robertferanec , 02-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Before you export the 3D model, set variant in PCB. We have done it many times, works oki. Maybe you are using an old Altium?
leighpots , 02-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Thanks - looks like the component links were blown - no matter what I did - not fitting in the variant even in the PCB - it would not actually do it.
I wish it would warn you of unmatched links !

I still cannot get the schematic variants to graphically DNI the schematic view however ... Let me give it a go for awhile and open a new post if I get stuck.

Regards, Leighpots
robertferanec , 02-13-2017, 03:53 PM
You can download our open source projects and test it there: http://www.imx6rex.com/open-rex/
leighpots , 02-13-2017, 05:14 PM
In your sch attached , I selected Demo1 as variant, c1 & c2 as not fitted but still no go . Your NF parts remain even though they are fitted.
I only have to click OK and the changes should be made ?
Maybe another bug in my version of altium ?

robertferanec , 02-14-2017, 05:40 PM
@leighpots, this will explain it to you: Altium Tutorial – Variants & Printing PDF Schematic
leighpots , 02-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Ah that little trick ... all the best regards, Leighpots
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?