| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Layer Pairs

JShores , 11-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm still new to PCB design and was wondering how everyone defined their mechanical layers in Altium? I tried doing searching on it but there didn't seem to be much info . I noticed that M13 is the default for the 3D body and M15 for the courtyard. Anyone have recommendations?

Thanks!
Josh
mairomaster , 11-06-2017, 01:45 AM
I don't think there is a standard. It is quite important thing to decide in the beginning, when you are starting developing you libraries, since it might be a pain to change in the future. Here is what layers we use at our company:

M3: Courtyard
M4: Component Body
M5: Designator
M9: Component Origin Symbol (showing the reference point of the footprint)

The layer pairs in the layout are:
M3:M13
M4:M14
M5:M15

Also in the layout we use M1 for a board outline or board panel drawing (depending on if we provide the panel specifications or not) and M17 for a simple board outline.

For manufacturing notes, dimensions, layer stack table and drill table we use the Drill Drawing layer.
JShores , 11-06-2017, 06:57 AM
I appreciate the feedback @mairomaster .

I knew it was important to establish what layers would be used within our company. Controlling the PCB design and drawings is relatively new for us. I've been working on finding the best design methods and creating templates, so that information you provided is much appreciated.
robertferanec , 11-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Thank you @mairomaster, awesome answer
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?