| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

route in PCB and then replicate changes to Schematics

mega128 , 01-22-2019, 08:24 AM
Hi all,

First of all, thanks to FEDEVEL to put a lot of YouTube tutorials and setup this forum for beginners like me to learn at my own pace. Thanks a lot, you are the MAN!
:-)

Now, I am new to Altium and wondering if I have a simple board and would like to draw traces/routes in PCB first and then it somehow Altium will connect those traces automatically in schematics?

I am doing single layer board and found it's beneficial for me to route in PCB editor first and then let schematic automatically connect those pins instead of me re-doing them in schematics.
Is it possible to do in Altium? if yes, where is the button to synch back the PCB to Schematics automatically so I don't have to it manually?

Thanks everyone,
Jay

Paul van Avesaath , 01-24-2019, 06:05 AM
There is an option to update PCB -> Schematic. I think that should do it in specific pin swap items (your component has to be compatible with it though)
it's located (if you are in the PCB editor) under design
mega128 , 01-24-2019, 06:09 AM
Thanks very much Paul, I will give it a try.
Paul van Avesaath , 01-24-2019, 06:56 AM
i do not think it will work as you think.. but hey maybe.. it will..

but if you have such a small project then it should be pretty easy to make the schematics also...
mega128 , 01-24-2019, 07:21 AM
Correct, it did not work. It is saying that there is not changes to be updated in schematics. I might do manually as you suggested.
Thanks
Paul van Avesaath , 01-24-2019, 07:28 AM
ussually you make schematic first, then go to PCB.. check out roberts youtube channel.. i believe it will help you getting started
robertferanec , 01-25-2019, 01:11 AM
@mega128, thank you.

If you find it useful to create PCB first, theoretically you could draw your schematic the way, as you would be doing layout, but that is not normally how I do it. Schematic should be easy to read and schematic should also reflect what components / pins should be placed close to each other. Once you import the schematic into your PCB, then is the time to figure out what would be the optimum placement and layout.

Many people makes layout unnecessary complicated because of wrong or not optimal placement. So, when you are inside PCB, pick up a component and imagine how you could connect pins together - imagine how you are going to do layout ... then place component. Once you place all the components and you know how you are going to connect the pins, then draw the tracks.
Paul van Avesaath , 01-25-2019, 01:31 AM
Yes Yes Yes, @robertferanec your design has to have FLOW!!!! draw schematics to reflect how you want the layout to look... optimal placement comes when having a good schematic!!!
I have said it for as long as i know.. "if it looks good, It will work good"
mega128 , 01-25-2019, 07:41 AM
Understood, I will try to follow the suggested guidance.
Thanks Robert and Paul again
:-)
-Jay
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?