| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

4 Layers PCB setup

Eoliveira , 02-05-2019, 11:20 AM
Hello Everyone!!!

I'm doing my first 4 layers PCB. I'm trying to setup Stackup properly.
Can you help me?

My board has the following layers:

L1 - signal
L2 - 5V
L3 - GND
L4 - Signal

I'd like to have blind vias to connect L1 to 5V or GND plane.

How Do I setup this feature ?

When I try to connect signal ( GND or 5V) to the planes, through Hole vias is connected. I think it is the standard from altium... I don't know !

Thank you

Paul van Avesaath , 02-05-2019, 11:58 PM
first of.
just to be sure..
do you really need blind via's?
since it will be a 4 layer board.. ? it increases the cost significantly.. so if you are really sure about it.. (just double checking here )

really ??

in anycase, if you want blind via's

whatch this
http://www.fedevel.com/ Shows how to use micro VIA and blind VIA in Altium Designer.

if you are on Altium 18 then watch the above one first then this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82X3oGyzMns

robert made some excellent video's about it..
Eoliveira , 02-10-2019, 08:32 AM
@Paul van Avesaath thank you for your explanation I'll use Through Hole vias in my PCB.

one more question ....

in case of 4 layer PCB ....Is necessary has polygon ( GND ) in BOTTOM LAYER ? or the Ground Plane is enough

Tks

Comments:
Lakshmi, 04-14-2019, 02:28 AM
- You said L2 is Power(5V) and L3 is Ground. Assuming you don't have any high-speed signal running on L1. Even if you have to make sure that high-speed traces running Layer should be closer to Ground Layer.For eg., You route the high-speed signal in L1 then L2 has to be a Complete Ground Layer.- If you have spaces left then you can cover left spaces by Gnd Layer.- Blind and Buried Vias make your PCB much costlier. Better go with the Through-hole. If it's a 6/8/10 Layer board then they sound perfect but not for the 4 Layer.
Paul van Avesaath , 02-12-2019, 12:11 AM
the Polygon on the bottom is not really nescessary by default if you use a internal GND plane. it kind of depends on your design needs..
btw.. if you go through hole via' 18/8 is pretty smal and is very good to make for PCB manufacturers.. if you can go 24/12 it's prapably a bit cheaper.. (24mil = annular ring / 12mil = Hole size)
mulfycrowh , 04-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Hello everyone,

So as far I understand, you use through vias only for a 4 layers design.
My question is : what does make you using burried or blind vias on a design ?
Comments:
Lakshmi, 04-16-2019, 07:13 AM
Yeah.For eg., say you have a 10 Layer Board and your signal has to route from 1st Layer to 4th Layer you use BLIND Via & for routing between 4th and 8th Layer you use BURIED via.But these makes your PCB manufact. costly as compared to the easiest through hole.To be specific :A Blind Via connects an outer layer to one or more inner layers but does not go through the entire board.A Buried Via connects two or more inner layers but does not go through to an outer layer.
Paul van Avesaath , 04-16-2019, 07:04 AM
well if your design need it then you go to blind or buried via's.. it depends on:
1)density of the design (the compacter you design the tighter the distance between components which means less room for through hole via's)
2)technology used (smaller pitch forces sometimes to go to laser drilled micro via's or blind via's)
3)speed, the fast you go the better it is to have stubb-les via's for better Signal integrety

hope this helped
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?