| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to design 2 PCB at same time on Altium?

Didan , 04-17-2019, 12:04 PM
Dear forum, Im in a project (it doesnt start yet) which will be necessary to use 2 boards, one bigger board and another smaller connected with mezzanine (board to board) connector like picture attached connector_board_board below... Thats not final solution, its still in discussion and about these connectors if somebody here have any experience with this kind of project involving 2 boards conencted though this kind of board to board connector gonna help sharing for instance, manufacture part numbers and datasheet. Moreover, I dont know how to develop 2 boards at same time in Altium Design and if there are any special consideration between these kind of connectors like controlled impedance, differential pair to route it between these 2 boards and how to deal with high speed signals in these situation.

I really dont know how to do it and if somebody have any reference design board using 2 boards with these kind of connectors to share will be welcome. Finally, share links about how to develop 2 boards integrated with each one in Altium gonna help. I just know that I can create any PCB boards that I want in Altium, but like if I wanna to sepparate and we will need do it, differents parts of circuit in one board and the rest of circuit in another how to do it? As picture below "dimensions_board" we will need to place different circuits and how to communicate them? If there are any tutorial from fedevel or youtube video gonna help so much because our team here is lost about this topic ...
robertferanec , 04-24-2019, 06:17 AM
I would do it as two separate projects. Something similar is our iMX6 Rex project - a little bit different connectors, but you can see, these are two different Altium projects:

- iMX6 Rex Module: https://www.imx6rex.com/
- iMX6 Rex Development Baseboard: https://www.imx6rex.com/application/...lopment-board/
Paul van Avesaath , 04-26-2019, 03:46 AM
is't it a part of altium 19's to have a mutliple PCB i have seen a demo on it.. (that does not mean i trust it because i dont..) i would go roberts way -> 2 serprate projects..
Read the latest PCB Design information from the industry's leading experts. Altium is paving the way for enhanced engineering by designing the next generation of tools unifying the PCB design industry. Our resources are meant for everyone, so if you are a beginner learning what is a PCB, seeking advanced solutions for getting component data in real-time while designing a board and collaborating across design teams, or wanting to listen to interviews with industry pioneers, we have you covered. If you haven't already, we encourage you to get familiar with the best PCB Design software, Altium Designer, and Altium 365, our electronics product design platform that unites PCB design, MCAD, data management, and teamwork!
robertferanec , 04-26-2019, 04:05 AM
In AD18 / AD19, when you use multiboard, you are putting together separate projects. So you still need to create the boards separately.
Didan , 04-27-2019, 06:39 PM
Thanks so much Robert and Paul Van. Im looking all references.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?